Cutaway? Pickup?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Destro

Cutaway? Pickup?

Post by Destro » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 pm

I am sure this has been asked before, but be patient with me!

Does a cutaway take away from the sound of the classical guitar?

What about pickups? Does this affect the sound of the guitar? Is there a paticular pickup that should be preferred for classical guitar?

Thanks

simon

Post by simon » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:20 pm

Hi Destro

i use a Fishman Transducer pickup to amplify/record my Takamine cedar top classical. it is very much favoured by classical guitarists as long as you find the "sweet " spot when mounting it inside the guitar.

check out some of my posts in the mp3 section on this forum, excellent quality.

cheers

Simon
Roger Allan 1937 Hauser + Zoom H4 + GTP3 = Hours of Fun !!!

anathem

Post by anathem » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:14 pm

yeah simon ur recordings are really god.and as for the problem at hand cutaways dont take away from the sound of the guitar as long as they are made properly by someone who knows his job.its the same woith all guitars some are better than others because they are made by different people.but this thing with the cutaways is at least from my experience only prejudice

miguel de maria

Post by miguel de maria » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Yes, a cutaway takes some of the fineness of the sound from the guitar--a hard thing to quantify, but it is there. However, if you are going to perform with a group, you need a pickup. I suggest getting the normal Fishman Matrix, but you should use some effects such as teh Zoom 504 to sweeten it up. I use it at my gigs and people like my sound.

Anonymous

Cutaways and pickups

Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:21 pm

I agree that if you have a properly built and miced up guitar you should not be able to notice ant difference.

I play a Takamine Hirade Concert with a cedar top and I would put the sound quality up against any "true" classical guitar.

With cutaways, you get what you pay for. Same thing with "true" classical guitars. Alot of time you are apying for name and history.

Not me, I go for well-built and technology. I pay less and in many cases have a better guitar.

Matt

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”