Learn your fretboard diagrams

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Erik Zurcher

Learn your fretboard diagrams

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 am

Hello everyone, I have made a few diagrams for those who find it difficult to memorize the fretboard. Print these out, stick them to the wall and try to memorize them all.
(Please report if you find any errors)
Fretboard1.jpg
Fretboard2.jpg
Fretboard1a.jpg
Fretboard3.jpg
These diagrams are in jpg format. Pdf's available at request. Just send a PM with your email address to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

guy.murray

Re: Learn your fretboard diagrams

Post by guy.murray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 am

Many thanks for that, most useful, particularly the bottom right hand corner!

A little trick I've been using recently to learn the dustier parts of the fingerboard - at the the beginning of each practice session take a single line of music that you would normally play in or around the first position and play it instead around the 7th postion and beyond. You should quickly develop a memory map of where the notes are, and also get a feel for which positions suite which keys.

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Yay!... :merci:
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Years ago I made myself a fretboard diagram that was color-coded: Each string and its corresponding notes up to the 5th fret was colored differently. Then each progression of the same notes up the fingerboard was colored the same as the ones from frets 1-5. It's really helped me find notes (and remember their positions) quickly. The only difference between mine and Erik's is that in mine each group of notes is color-coded rather than each separate note being a different color.
Last edited by Wesjr1 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks, Erik. These are great! I like the way you've put the sharps and flats in a lighter shade. That helps me visualize and get a better concept of where things are.
- Donnie

Tiago

Post by Tiago » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Wesjr1 wrote:Years ago I made myself a fretboard diagram that was color-coded: Each string and its corresponding notes up to the 5th fret was colored differently. Then each progression of the same notes up the fingerboard was colored the same as the ones from frets 1-5. It's really helped me find notes (and remember their positions) quickly. The only difference between mine and Erik's is that in mine each group of notes is color-coded rather than each separate note being a different color.
That's good. To be perfect it remains only to remove the chromatics leaving only the naturals.

wianno

Post by wianno » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Here's another view, a bit cleaner I think, without sharps and flats. Piano octave positions are noted.
Note positions on the fretboard.png
This is available as a word document in which the colors are better defined and typeface clearer. PM me to request a copy.

Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeertHendrik

Post by GeertHendrik » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

These are all great thx!

Jedaks

Post by Jedaks » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 pm

These are good charts.

I made up a "battleship" game to help me learn the fretboard. I use the open string and the fret number and test myself to name the note.

For example G-9 = E, D-4=F# and so on.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks so much for these diagrams. I have tried printing out but they come out rather small. I have pm'd Jack to see if a word document will come out larger for me. I probably just do not know how to print from my pc. I right click and say view image and then when I print the image is less than half the paper. Thanks for any input! And for the diagrams!

Susan

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Try right clicking, then hit "select all", then ctrl C to copy it, then paste it to a word document.

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi and thanks for the tip but I don't see select all when I right click. Just view, copy or save as. A couple other choices but not select all. If I view and then zoom it looks bigger on the screen but still prints small. I have an older set up maybe.

Susan

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 pm

SusanGRas wrote:Hi and thanks for the tip but I don't see select all when I right click. Just view, copy or save as. A couple other choices but not select all. If I view and then zoom it looks bigger on the screen but still prints small. I have an older set up maybe. Susan
If you haven't already tried, instead of selecting "view", then copying and pasting into a document and trying to print from that, select "save as" (or "save image as" if your computer lists that choice), then choose a format (jpg, etc), save to desktop, then open the image and print that. If you save as jpg or tif, and have a photo editing program (such as Photoshop, or some other) you can adjust the image size before printing. Hope that works for you.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Whoo hoo! I don't have photoshop but I was able to save as and then get it in word and then say select all and then paste in Pagemaker and Pagemaker let me adjust the size. I'm not quite sure exactly how it all worked so I had better do it again to be sure I can repeat the process! Thank you!

Susan

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Maybe I'm just a numbers guy, but it always seems easiest to me to count up or down 5 (or 4 when crossing between the B and G strings). So, since I know that D is on fret 3 of the B string, I know that it's on frets 7 and 12 on the next strings.

I also think of intervals this way. A minor seventh is 10 half steps. So from 6th string, that interval is on the same fret on the 4th string (5+5). Going from the third string to the first is one more fret up (4+6).

I realize that sounds confusing, but might be worth a shot. I also will orient myself backwards from the 12th fret for higher positions. It's a D string, so C is 2 frets away from the 12th fret.

These little mnemonic crutches fade away and you're just left with "knowing". That being said, sight reading 4 note chords in upper positions is not a skill that I possess!
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”