Suggests on repetoire

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
nylonthanh

Suggests on repetoire

Post by nylonthanh » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some suggestions to help me move toward buiding a larger and more diverse repetoire.

Current works I play are from Bach (prelude 1, bouree), Villa-lobos (prelude 1,4, etude 1), Carcassi (etude 7), Tarrega (Recuerdos Del Alambra)

Part of my problem is finding good music to listen to. Any suggestions? I got a romantic guitar book with sample works, but it's not all the songs. The romantic period is probably my favorite.

Any help will rule. Thanks, Thanh

miguel de maria

Post by miguel de maria » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:55 pm

Why don't you buy some CDs and then you can pick out stuff you like? If you can play those pieces well, then you have a lot of great Tarrega to choose from. You might pick up Russell's CD Aire Latino for some great ideas of pieces to play.

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I would love midi or gtp files with a whole cd full of them like a series of anthologies. Does such a beast exist? If not, that's a great opportunity for any classical/flamenco guitarist.

Was that Aire Latino Cd mostly Brazilian music?

Thanks!!! Thanh

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:59 am

Yeh, i would say finding some good music to play is helped greatly by finding good music you like to listen to. I am a huge John Williams fan, so I am gonna recommend a few of his Cd's which have inspired me to learn a bunch of new stuff. the first one I would get is The Seville Concert, which should still be available on Cd, although there was a VHS version, but it is out of print. I have it on Divx, so email me if you want it. It has some fantastic pieces: Sevilla and Asturius by Albeniz, Ushers Waltz by Koshkin, Bach's Lute Prelude in E major, Sakura Variations, and the Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez.
Also, "El Diablo Suelto" is a CD of venezualan guitar music, this CD has some real gems, alot of pieces by Antonio Lauro, and Los Caujaritos which is a fantastic transcription for a piece written for the venezualan harp. Highly recommended!
If you are up for the challenge, "From the Jungles of Paraguay" is a CD of music by the great guitar composer Agustin Barrios Mangore. This CD has some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. Very complex compositions and very simple ones. My favorite is the 3 part "La Catedral" Go to the 'interpretations' section of the forum and you can listen to a few of the pieces I have mentioned as I have posted my recordings on there.
Actually, you can find alot of nice pieces on that forum, maybe a few things you will want to learn!

hope this helps!

Jamie

Anonymous

Songs

Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Get the sheet music, write it into gtp and you got it! Lots of good stuff out there but writing your own to challenge yourself is cool also.

Thats what I do anyway.

Matt

norban

Post by norban » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 pm

The Classic page of >Dirk's guitarpage< has a lot of romantic pieces. To each pdf you can hear the midi. If you have heard a good one, start the pdf and try to play it directly from your display. If you manage it, download it. That saves space on your harddisc.Its all free.

domj

Post by domj » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:09 pm

If you like VL then maybe have a look at Piazzola. Similar style but a bit more melodic at times. Certainly makes for a few good performance pieces.

Dom

Rich9999

Post by Rich9999 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:09 am

The Library is a great place to get Classical Guitar Cd's,
that way you don't have to buy them. Take them home
and pick out the pieces you like.

Rick :)

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:32 am

Great idea Rick :D

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”