acoustic and non classical guitar usage

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
nylonthanh

acoustic and non classical guitar usage

Post by nylonthanh » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I was curious if there were drawbacks of playing an electric, acoustic guitar and classical? My situation is that I have and play all of them. The thing is, my fingers don't work right because of the spacing differences between them all. The skinniest neck is on the acoutic guitar the electric has a gibson les paul like neck and we know about the classical. Do most people stick to just one instrument?

Freeman

Post by Freeman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:53 am

I would think any new guitar would take some getting used to. Just driving different cars. Playing a various guitars/instruments can only strenghten your skills. The more you play these instruments, the more comfortable you will feel with them.
Carry on...

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:56 am

I came unstuck with fingering when playing bass and classical guitars.

I couldn't get used to the differences. So one had to go.

Guess which one?!

anathem

Post by anathem » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:55 am

it's easy plying more instruments means more time to reach a certain level of skill and u might feel attracted more to one or the other and leave the others behind and finally quit playing them,.and classical acoustic and electric guitars are different instruments even if they are all guitars.acoustical goes with classical they're more similar but electric is a totally different dish and i think in the end u'll finally hav to decide to o for the electrical or for the acoustical-classical combo or a single one of them.anyway good luck u're gonna need it :)

BobM

Post by BobM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:01 pm

We have a saying: "one gun man shoots well"! so I guess that will explain everything if the saying is true! Maybe that's why I'm still stuck on my level...I got 3 guitars! :(

Bob

BalO

Post by BalO » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:06 pm

BobM wrote:We have a saying: "one gun man shoots well"! so I guess that will explain everything if the saying is true! Maybe that's why I'm still stuck on my level...I got 3 guitars! :(

Bob
thats true, but not in my case! I have 4 diffrent types of guitars, a classic, flamenco, electic and halfacustic, but I love the classic guitar, it warms my heart and Ill never get tired on that :| :)

anathem

Post by anathem » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:06 pm

:lol: :lol:

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 pm

I guess it comes down to personal preference then. I didn't know if there was a concencess (sp?). To me, an electric guitar is more preferable over an acoustic because my neck is a gibson type of neck which is a tad wider than my Yamaha acoustic. I guess I'll stick to my classical, though I do get the itch every now and then to plug the Marshall back in again! I guess the Metal I use to play back then, the guitarists were real educated musicians. Something like Tocotta and Fugue from Bach on an electric just turns me on too much. Or Vivaldi's Winter. MMmmmm

Anonymous

Guitars

Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:16 pm

I started playing "classical" music on an acoustic guitar. Three months later I made the switch to a classical guitar.

I was told that you can't play classical on a regular acoustic. You can play on whatever YOU like regardless of whether the classical community accepts it or not.

Personally, after becoming used to the classical guitar style I found that I had more room for my fingers to manuever but my neck reach was reduced.

I have the feeling that if someone has smaller hands not only will they find the classical guitar more difficult but they will be able to play smaller neck guitars like the acoustic better than some of us with larger hands.

Matt

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:16 pm

Does someone make classical width necks for acoustic or electric? I would have thought this would be a standard by now.

Anonymous

Neck Widths

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:08 pm

You know, I was up at a guitar store in my area and the classical guitar guy is still involved with his rock band from years ago but as he as aged and grown up a bit, he has turned to Classical.

He is having trouble playing his electric guitar now because of playing the classical so much and he asked for the very same thing.

HEy, anyone want to start a luthier shop making electrics with classical necks? :D

Matt

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:08 am

My old electric (Yamaha RGX 321) had a very wide almost "Classical" width. Sadly I no longer have it but it was the closest I ever found.

Nowadays it's classical all the way. :D

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

anathem

Post by anathem » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:16 am

i saw malmsteen in a video playing an electro-classical guitar meaning electro-acoustic body and classical neck qith calssical special strings it was quite interesting he most certainly had it made especially for him by someone

Anonymous

Guitars

Post by Anonymous » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:18 pm

I wasn't joking. I am involved in many businesses and at this time I am looking at having one of my people in my current factory make a prototype.

Too many people have asked for me not to look into it.

Special orders only of course. Is there any interest?

Matt

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm

I only started playing on a classical guitar 3 months ago, but i've found that my electric playing in the rock band i am in has improved more in those 3 months than in the past 3 years! Classical is a totally different beast but it's given me much more awareness of any guitar i am playing.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”