Know a luthier in USA willing to do repairs?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jamie

Know a luthier in USA willing to do repairs?

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:33 pm

Hey guys, I have a very nice concert classical guitar made by Antonio Raya Pardo from Granados. It is a lovely instrument, but the neck is slightly warped. I only noticed recently (had it for 3 years), but the action has always felt a little high. I cant imagine i wouldnt have checked for warpage of the neck when i bought it (it was £3000!!!), so I suppose it has happened gradually. Possibily due to humidity in florida where i have lived for the past couple of years, although none of my other guitars have warped at all.
I am desperate to get it repaired, and people on another forum told me it would need either planing of the neck and re-fretting or addition of another layer of ebony. A third suggestion was to have frets placed with larger bits that sit in the neck, to try and force the neck straighter.
Does anyone know of a luthier willing to make repairs on the mainland USA?
If you do, could you post or email contact details?
Thanks for any info,

jamie

cprovinse

Post by cprovinse » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:23 pm

There is a luthier that I highly recommend in Los Angeles. His name is Art Valdez. He has a line of guitars that were built in his shop, so he knows guitars, but he also does repairs. I had my Ramirez repaired, and he did a beautiful job. Mr. Valdez is a real gentleman and he has an impressive clientel in Hollywood. It is a small shop and he keeps his own hours, you might want to give him a call and discuss your repair.

Valdez Guitar Shop
(323) 874-9998 Web Site 7420 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA Map

sktn77a

Post by sktn77a » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:31 am

Try to find a luthier who can "heat set" the neck straight. This is the least invasive and expensive option. If this doean't work, you will need to remove the frets, replane the fingerboard, and refret the guitar (expensive).

Good luck finding a good luthier. Be sure to get references - I had a guitar ruined by a well meaning but............. well..... lets just say, inexperienced, "luthier".

Keith

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”