By By Rio Karma

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Garlik

By By Rio Karma

Post by Garlik » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:43 am

Rio Brand Closes Doors

In a press release today, D&M Holdings announced the end of the Rio brand
http://www.dm-holdings.com/eng/media/pr ... 50826.html

Rio had a troubled history, but were responsible for the first mass-market MP3 players as well as more recent popular players such as the Rio Karma. This closing follows the sale of Rio's IP to Sigmatel, maker of chipsets for many audio players, including the iPod Shuffle." From the release: "The company's decision to exit the Rio business followed a determination that the mass-market portable digital audio player market was not a strong enough strategic fit with the company's core and profitable premium consumer electronics brands to warrant additional investment in the category. The original goal of strategic advantage with wholly-owned and branded portable client devices was reconsidered in the context of the costs required to effectively scale and compete in this sector, where competition has grown intense. D&M Holdings will now focus all its resources on the core Premium AV business and advanced content server products."
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000663052036/

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:49 am

I'm treating mine like a precious gem (my second one)... and have backed it all up in several places... but don't dispair... they are still around in stock, and several companies have come out with even better replacements if/when yours ever dies. (Have you tried RedChair's Audigen software? It's like RioRad but lets you browse/search/stream the ogg files that are on your HD)

By the way... Hurricane Katrina left Miami without electricity for 48 very hot muggy hours (500k people still don't have power) mine just came back on... the Karma kept me (and my music loving cats) sane, and lasted longer than the 15 hours promised. Robert de Visée's Pieces de Theorbo was particularly calming, I listened to three versions for comparison: Hopkinson Smith (still my favorite), Eduardo Eguez and Jose Miguel Moreno. I have a great little stereo battery speaker system by TDK called "I'm a Speaker"... the cats like to lean against it for those nice low theorbo frequencies.

I also distracred myself by playing for many of those long hours!! Till the eye of the storm hovered overhead for two hours, I had not yet been able to play anything from memory... suddenly, during that eerie silence, with the pressure so low that my ears were popping, I managed to play five different pieces in the dark!! woohoo!!

Garlik

Post by Garlik » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:29 pm

I Pray for the safety of New Orleans against Hurricane Katrina.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:16 pm

Katrina has intensified to a category 5 storm since it left Miami... Storms of that magnitude transform the landscape of people's lives forever. Prepare for the worst and try to stay calm and sane and safe. Good luck to all those in her path!

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”