[Martin] Hello everybody

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Martin

[Martin] Hello everybody

Post by Martin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:34 pm

Martin here.

I started playing back in the early '70's when I was 16, and like to think I got pretty good at it (probably kidding myself though)

In the late 80's I suddenly started suffering from lots of "focal dystonia" type righthand problems, and found playing and practising so frustrating I more or less gave up about 10 years ago.

Round about Christmas last year I suddenly got the idea to try playing left handed. Revelation! I could do alternation and open-string arpeggios better than I had been able to for years! Bought myself a left hand build guitar in March and haven't looked back.

I know a lot; can't do most of it, but I'm motivated and enjoying myself again, and looking forward to taking part in these forums (forii?)

Martin

Colm

Post by Colm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:29 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm new here too, but so far I've found it a friendly and welcoming place!

sorry to hear about your probs, but if the LH works for you then go for it!

If I were you I'd pay special attention to posture and positioning - don't want to do your lefty in as well!

--
Colm

david

Post by david » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:13 pm

Hi,welcome to the forum
:D

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:50 am

Hello Martin and welcome to the forum!

You will find that there are many of us (of all ages and experience) who have physical and/or cognative challenges that we are working around. I only started playing at 50 (3 years ago) and encountered many things like dyslexia and transient problems that were similar to focal dystonia (couldn't feel where my left hand fingers were if I stopped moving them and/or lost my concentration... chords are still a challenge!)... happily the aging brain IS still capable of reprogramming itself!! and learning new tricks :) I find this area of research fascinating... actually observing the brain making new connections... so feel free to share! Ask a question, and you are assured of getting some very creative suggestions!

As an aside, I (mis)spent my youth in ballet classes learning to imitate movements by watching the teacher in the MIRROR... I play right-handed, but for me to translate the (non-mirrored) hand position of someone sitting in front of me makes smoke come out of my ears (and often brings tears of frustration)... I keep thinking that I should find a left handed guitarist to teach me some chords!!

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, people

I hope I can learn from other peoples experience here, and offer something from my own insights.

And I certainly want to avoid making the same mistakes I made the first time I learnt!

Thanks again,

Martin

suzy q

Post by suzy q » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum... :D

bwest123

Post by bwest123 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:13 am

Hi Martin,

Welcome. I have found lots of good information here, such as your idea of switching hands ( hopefully, I won't need to use this - Can't imagine being even less coordinated than I am now. :lol:)

Please join in & continue to share.

ky-jelly

Post by ky-jelly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:16 pm

i just tried swtiching hands, oh dear! lol :lol:

hope your playing goes well, have fun on the forum!

im_in_asia_now

Post by im_in_asia_now » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:47 am

welcome to the forum

guitarteacher

Post by guitarteacher » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:09 pm

welcome from a fellow lefty

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”