11 string guitars pitched in E available in UK / EU?

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Conall

11 string guitars pitched in E available in UK / EU?

Post by Conall » Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm considering an 11 string along the lines of Moran Wasser's but less expensive (his is by Dieter Muller I believe) - so not a nomex, double top or lattice braced guitar I'd say but something more "traditional" in terms of construction - although I would take those premium types if a reasonable second hand was for sale. I'm thinking of EBGDAE with basses descending DCBAG tuning. I would want at least the 8 top strings to be frettable. I have also been looking at 10 strings (in similar tuning minus the low G) and briefly thought of an Alto guitar but I dislike the idea of the higher pitch & implications for transposition, ensemble playing etc. I may settle on a 10 string if I can't find an 11 string I can afford / like enough. My main use for this guitar is to play Bach with more of the original basses, but also Dowland, Weiss etc. I have no interest in a Dresden guitar in Dm tuning as I will be using this guitar for music after the Baroque period also (& Renaissance music).

The guitar needs to be loud enough for small - medium sized venues like churches. I presently have a George Lowden & I play loudly (I have to - I often play with a pianist) so projection needs to be comparable (but does not need to be as loud as nomex etc). Good, balanced tone & excellent intonation are also essential of course.

Rob McKillop kindly suggested Heikki Rousso & I will probably contact him as I see he makes multistring guitars (though I can't see exactly what I'm looking for on his webpage) & his prices look in my range.

Do any of you know of any other multistring luthiers who make or might make this kind of instrument?

I suspect Ermanno Chiavi & Dieter Muller are way out of my budget (preferably under £4000 sterling but closer to £3000). Any EU based makers on this forum making affordable 11 string guitars? Unless the makers are in the UK I would also need the guitar safely delivered to Scotland or Ireland or somewhere in the UK.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Conall

mikfik

Re: 11 string guitars pitched in E available in UK / EU?

Post by mikfik » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am

ImageThe 13 string Dresden guitar works perfectly for your needs. My Dresden has an 8 string neck (beautifully carved and shaped) and a 640mm scale. It is tuned like a normal guitar and has descending scale as you described plus 2 more strings that can be tuned to anything you want by using appropriate strings.
I simply added the low F and E so it goes all the way down to a bass guitar's lowest string.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 am

mikfik wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am
ImageThe 13 string Dresden guitar works perfectly for your needs. My Dresden has an 8 string neck (beautifully carved and shaped) and a 640mm scale. It is tuned like a normal guitar and has descending scale as you described plus 2 more strings that can be tuned to anything you want by using appropriate strings.
I simply added the low F and E so it goes all the way down to a bass guitar's lowest string.
Hi Mikfik,

Thanks for your answer.

I hadn't thought of a Dresden tuned in E. But I confess 13 strings, while covering the range I'd like and more, is probably a couple of steps too far for me.

I'm coming from an 8 string, started thinking of a 10 string & thought I'd try one extra (I know, the sky's the limit!). However, having tried the Baroque lute with 21 courses I believe 13 strings is too uncomfortable a right hand span.

Do you also make / have an 11 string?
Where are you based?

Thanks,

Conall

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am

Just a quick technical point, no lute has 21 courses. A course is a pair of strings, sometimes single. A 13c baroque lute had two single treble courses, then eleven double courses, either in unison or octaves.

Can you really call it a Dresden Guitar if it wasn't made by Michael Thames?

I think most luthiers in the UK would make you what you ask for, which seems a reasonable request. Some would charge more than you are willing to pay, but I'm sure there are many would like to give it a try. For most, though, it would be a one-off, an experiment.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am
Just a quick technical point, no lute has 21 courses. A course is a pair of strings, sometimes single. A 13c baroque lute had two single treble courses, then eleven double courses, either in unison or octaves.

Can you really call it a Dresden Guitar if it wasn't made by Michael Thames?

I think most luthiers in the UK would make you what you ask for, which seems a reasonable request. Some would charge more than you are willing to pay, but I'm sure there are many would like to give it a try. For most, though, it would be a one-off, an experiment.
Hi Rob, thanks for that.

Yes, the top string of my lute is a single string and the others are double I should have said. At the moment it is literally gathering dust on my wardrobe - hasn't been used for years & I wasn't thinking when I said 21 courses.

I also was under the impression that a 13 string tuned in Dm was commonly called a "Dresden" but if Michael Thames has claimed or registered that name I stand corrected.

Yes, I'd prefer not to have to rely on an experimental build (no offence intended to anyone). I was hoping an EU / UK luthier might have some experience building what I'm looking for. Heikki still looks a likely candidate. I also sent the Scottish maker Colin Morison but I haven't heard yet. Mikfik's 13 string looks interesting but I think I won't cope with that - 11 will be hard enough (coming from my current 8 string)!

Cheers,

C.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am

mikfik wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am
Hi Mikflk,

Are you selling this guitar (as a matter of interest?). If it's a Michael Thames I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway - but just thought I'd ask!

Cheers,

C.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 am

I sent you a pm
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

mikfik

Post by mikfik » Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 am

I am NOT selling my Dresden but I do have another suggestion for you. Check out Tonedevil guitars. I own one, the price is low and I love mine.
Here is a picture of mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 pm

mikfik wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 am
I am NOT selling my Dresden but I do have another suggestion for you. Check out Tonedevil guitars. I own one, the price is low and I love mine.
Here is a picture of mine.
Wow! That is intriguing alright - but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks anyway.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”