8-string Barrios

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
jeffrysteele

8-string Barrios

Post by jeffrysteele » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:29 am

I just added two Barrios arrangements for 8-string to the relevant page http://jeffrysteele.com/8-string.html

Conall

Re: 8-string Barrios

Post by Conall » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:28 am

Well done & thanks for these, I'll try them out.

I have also been using the added basses of my 11 string for extra resonance / drama in existing 6 string pieces but so far in an improvisatory way rather than making formal arrangements (I'm currently mostly occupied with using them in lute music where they are asked for). There are times when it's fairly obvious that a bass note would have been better down an octave (eg in a sequence) but had to be placed in the upper octave because of the more restrictive range of 6 strings.

But the link for Samba de dos Niños does not appear to work? It just comes up as "Not Found"?

jeffrysteele

Post by jeffrysteele » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Conall,
Thanks so much for pointing out the broken link, which I now see resulted from me assuming the ñ character would not cause a problem. I found with the Barrios that there were bass lines with some notes sounding "transposed" due to the limitations of 6 strings that could not be rendered linearly.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 pm

jeffrysteele wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:30 pm
Conall,
Thanks so much for pointing out the broken link, which I now see resulted from me assuming the ñ character would not cause a problem. I found with the Barrios that there were bass lines with some notes sounding "transposed" due to the limitations of 6 strings that could not be rendered linearly.
Your software must dislike Spanish!

Yes, I know what you mean about the transposed sounding bass notes. In fact there's a lot of that in S L Weiss too. It's ironic that guitarists wanting to play his music as close to the original as possible / from the manuscripts who then buy & learn to play 13 string guitars in Dm tuning will replicate the odd sounding bass jumps in Weiss' music necessitated by the fact that the open basses are no good for chromatic changes. Much better in my opinion to find keys that work for 11 or 8 string guitars and place basses where it makes most musical sense.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”