Stephen Faulk 7-strings

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Stephen Faulk

Stephen Faulk 7-strings

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 am

Asked to post some of my 7's- here is an old video of Jason McGuire playing a 2011 classical, he's really a flamenco player...but you can hear the guitar. Cedar top, all natural wood lattice bracing, Indian rosewood, small soundport, Wenge bridge.

I've lost track of this guitar, it's probably in Northern California. If anyone ever sees it please let me know. I'd like to hear it in person next time I'm in California.

It was made for a Brazilian composer to record with. There might be a snippett of one of his compositions on my website- which sorely needs updating.

Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Stephen Faulk

Re: Stephen Faulk 7-strings

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 am

Photos of the guitar above. A bit dark....my film noir phase of guitar photography...

The neck has a maple fillet and the back also, the binding is rosewood and there's no side purfling. I wanted the line of the neck through back to be the visual element most featured. The wider neck make 7's look like they are wearing fat jeans, so I made it more svelte by showing off the center. It worked. The headstock veneer is Zebrawood, Schertler individual tuners.

After this one I was asked to build a few 7's for flamenco guitarists, I have some samples and pictures on a hard dive I can't access at the moment, but I'll transfer those in the future.

I had a discussion with one of my instrument making teachers when I built this 2011, he builds lutes and has mastered for like
therobos and arch lutes. We had a talk about top thickness and necks...structure. His conclusion was that making seven strings with thinner tops and less brace structure for a flamenco guitar was not a problem, to a point. I considered that structural point very carefully. Happy to report I'm still in contact with the players who commissioned flamenco models and everything is fine.

Adding to that, I spent time with some of the Brazilian made Choro guitars that I was being asked to emulate, or make my version of. I came to my own conclusion that there was a tendency to overbuild them- not sure if ti was because I was seeing more commercial factory made guitars rater than handmade, but they all seemed a bit "thuddy" to me. The Choro players told me that is a thing in the sound of the music and has to do with the traditional practice of sometimes using a cello string to get the lower notes of the bass side. I looked at a few guitars set up with cello C strings for the seventh bass. It's an interesting sound, but not for me to make. My idea at the beginning was to make Choro guitars more thin and sensitive like a flamenco guitar.

Since then I've used a a Daniel Friederich derived brace pattern, a very traditional Hauser type bracing, Torres basically, and now I want to return to working on that all wood lattice as in the guitar Jason is playing.

Ec88277.jpg
Fd90682.jpg
Ig12569.jpg
Sq47332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Faulk

Re: Stephen Faulk 7-strings

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 am

Here are two more, a cutaway from 2014 and a sound port from 2009-10

The soundport is a little on the large size, I don't' do that anymore. I make the ports about 20 mm to 25 mm and place it very close to the root of the neck. But the guitar is good, I just refined the use of ports over the years and I only do it on customer request.

The 2009 is made of Black Acacia with a Spruce top and the 2014 is Indian Rosewood with Spruce. The 2014 is a cutaway with a Friederich derived brace pattern that works very well. Big bold sound and plays beautifully all the way up the neck. It's a Jazz Monster, but it would rip out some Bach too.

7strings_back.jpg
7strings_front.jpg
SevenString.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”