Accessory to create a multi-string guitar

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
soltirefa

Accessory to create a multi-string guitar

Post by soltirefa » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:21 pm

This guy's guitar appears to use the gadget. And the video below that is the luthier who invented it demonstrating the device.

DocStevens

Re: Accessory to create a multi-string guitar

Post by DocStevens » Fri May 10, 2019 2:25 am

That's pretty cool, and not that hard to make. It would be useful for various open tunings, to add a drone note, and MAY sound good palm muted. You'd need a headstock from a parts guitar, a trapeze style bridge and then some stuff you'd have to cobble together, like that luthier did. I hope you can buy one or make one.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am

Fascinating.

The first video is let down a bit by the poor buzzy quality of the recording but the concept is very interesting if not pretty to look at.

If the sound is fine & the extra tension doesn't wreck the guitar it might be a good way for 6 stringers to experiment with extended range.

I would maybe have bought something like this & tried it on a cheap 6 string before investing in my 11 string so as to determine if the whole concept of extended range / extended basses was for me.

Incidentally I wholeheartedly recommended multistring guitars - it's given me the motivation I needed to get back into serious playing.

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu May 16, 2019 2:45 pm

A convertible guitar--amazing concept!

I assume it's going to alter the voice of the guitar overall, though whether for better or worse--or just different--probably depends on the individual instrument. I assume too that the rod takes care of the lateral pull on the neck, but I wonder about the extra tension.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu May 16, 2019 2:48 pm

The first video is let down a bit by the poor buzzy quality of the recording but the concept is very interesting if not pretty to look at.
It would be nice to hear that guitar in action without the capo on, too. I think that affects the overall tone of the guitar.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm

I was at that convention in Austin and heard this guitar. It sounded great. I spent some time looking at Hugo's work and was impressed.
I don't think it will ever "catch on" but I think about it every once in a while.
Steve

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”