Does anybody here have suggestions for flamenco pieces?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
Eliseo
Composer

Re: Does anybody here have suggestions for flamenco pieces?

Post by Eliseo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 am

Hello MrF1, Everything you explain is very interesting and I wish you every success in that flamenco career you are studying.
In your writing you name Kai Narezo, a character who is a flamenco guitarrist. He feels a love for the modern flamenco and an American sensibility rooted in jazz-fusion.Undoubtedly Kai already mixes his knowledge of jazz to be able to elaborate more successful modulations in the art of flamenco.

In 1960 I won three contests in flamenco. Then I started with classical music, and I've always liked classical music with flamenco flavor. Naturally trying to find the sweet and romantic part of flamenco. And so I composed "Dance", the first movement of my "Suite del Montsiá". This is the result of remembering my time in Sidi-Ifni when I did the Military Service in lands of Spanish Morocco at that time, giving my classical music a flamenco-Arabic accent.
With this I insist on explaining what I like about the classic-flamenco combination.
Thank you for your attention in reading my humble opinion about it.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 am

Eliseo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 am
Hello MrF1, Everything you explain is very interesting and I wish you every success in that flamenco career you are studying.
Hi Eliseo and thank you for posting your video! Well done.

I'm in my second year of flamenco guitar "immersion", so I'm still very early in the learning phase. From my humble perspective, traditional (puro) flamenco is so much about the cultural/historical origins of the music. Part of my learning journey has included reading about evolution of flamenco culture and also embracing cante. I've dabbled in classical guitar for a few years, but my background is more in rock and jazz music. My ear seems to notice that flamenco guitar music is often based on the harmonic minor, major, and phrygian scales. Playing doesn't seem to be focused on learning the piece exactly as written, but understanding the rhythm, timing, tone development, and phrasing. It's a big and wonderful change from music I've learned in years past.

Thanks again for sharing!

Fred (Mr. F1)

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm

How happy you must feel ronjazz! Well, not everyone has a brilliant opportunity like you to teach at a prestigious university in the United States! For my part, I did not know that Wesleyan's university had a Flamenco chair.
Could you develop this important topic a little more please? Thank you.

With best wishes :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am

MrF1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 am
My ear seems to notice that flamenco guitar music is often based on the harmonic minor, major, and phrygian scales.
Have a look at the Phrygian Dominant scale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_dominant_scale

It is the underpinning scale of most flamenco, and is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale that you mention. The other scales that you mention are all in there too of course.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am

Hello MrF1, you are right about the subject that you describe about the flamenco guitar. Clearly, it has a lot to do with cultural origins. History is like that for everything, without forgetting the evolution of classical music through hundreds of years. In proportion, more material has been preserved in classical than in flamenco.
All you explain is precisely wise and magical, because those changes in flamenco music is like a wonderful mystery full of fantasies that make our imagination release all the best about it.

Greetings :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

musikai

Post by musikai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am
Flawiler63 wrote:You could try Paco Peńa's Toques Flamenco. Not too difficult, yet very rewarding to play.
Seconded - there's a little Alegrias in there that should suit perfectly - not too long and certainly not requiring virtuosic scales.
Yes, Toques Flamenco also recommended here!! Fantastic pieces!
Tonit wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 pm
With regard to this, I would suggest (and just suggest as your option) Vicente Amigo tunes, like Roma:

And what makes it easier for you to learn is, there is also a video of VA playing up close to the camera at his house:
Thanks for this, this is sounds great and is fun to play! I transcribed the piece into a PDF (send me an email who needs notation).

Here is a more old-school piece

There are some fine free scores of flamenco pieces on his website too. The above piece isn't among them but here is my transcription of his playing of this traditional piece:
Trad. - Peteneras (El Cafe de Chinitas).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by musikai on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 am

Good interpretation partner "Musikal". A very successful recording! I have already seen the score. Thanks for sharing!

Regards :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

musikai

Post by musikai » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Eliseo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 am
Good interpretation partner "Musikal". A very successful recording! I have already seen the score. Thanks for sharing!

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
Thank you, but it's not me in the video :lol:

Your composition is very nice with the arabic scale. Do you also publish scores of your pieces?

The version of Peteneras of the El Café de Chinitas in the above video I actually found by accident when looking for the video of an older transcription of the "same" piece.

Here is the other version of El Café de Chinitas I also like very much and which is a bit more sophisticated (but I have little doubt that it really is Carlos Montoya):

Montoya, Carlos - Peteneras del Cafe de Chinitas.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
See website link

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 am

Fellow Musikal,
I am very grateful for all these important datas that you are contributing. Thanks for sharing!!
I can not expose my scores because the Beethoven house in Barcelona is my editor. It is a moral respect that I have to edit my scores. Also, if my pieces are edited then they are in the National Library of Spain, in the Library of Catalonia and in the circle of Universities of Catalonia. This does not give me money but in all humility it gives me personal satisfaction.

Undoubtedly the score of the second piece that you show us is more complete and proves to be of a higher grade. In the peteneras it indicates with an X when it is necessary to give the blow, but I do not have protector since my guitars are for classic, but something will occur to me.
Thanks for your great collaboration. :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Partner Musikal, I'm reviewing the first score of Peteneras and if my ear does not fail me in the second time of the second measure, the sun sounds natural and not sustained as it appears in the score.
I would appreciate the opinion of any of you on this particular score. Thank you.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

GuidoGitarist

Post by GuidoGitarist » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Paco Pena is always good for pieces. La Lola is a good rumba. Be sure to make flamenco sound flamenco by really articulating the golpes and making that note stand out. Flamenco is powerful, so play aggressive. Usually you can hear the difference when a classical players goes flamenco or visa versa.

Best to learn these pieces from a flamenco instructor / teacher ;)
2013 Perez Luthier India 'Abeto'
Flamenco player

musikai

Post by musikai » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Eliseo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 pm
Partner Musikal, I'm reviewing the first score of Peteneras and if my ear does not fail me in the second time of the second measure, the sun sounds natural and not sustained as it appears in the score.
I would appreciate the opinion of any of you on this particular score. Thank you.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
Eliseo, didn't see you message, sorry for not responding sooner!

I don't know what spot you mean exactly but anyway, the transcription doesn't follow the recording 100% in all different little variations the player does in the multiple repeats.
See website link

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Musikal,
I appreciate your comment, I see that we share the same opinion.
Thanks for your attention!!

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Return to “Flamenco Corner”