Ponce, Manuel - Tres Preludios - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Manuel María Ponce.
David Norton

Ponce, Manuel - Tres Preludios - Video

Post by David Norton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Manuel Ponce died in April 1948. Therefore his music enters Public Domain today, on January 1 2019, which is the start of the year following the 70th anniversary of his death.

To commemorate the event, I offer here my recording made this morning of three of his lesser-known Preludes. In 1930, Manuel Ponce wrote a set of "24 Preludes" for Andres Segovia, who in turn chose (for a variety of reasons) to only publish 12 of these. In 1948, Ponce wrote a series of "Six Short Preludes" and dedicated this set to Juanita Chavez, daughter of his close friend, the composer Carlos Chavez. I've long suspected -- albeit without a shred of concrete evidence -- that Ponce took some of the thematic material from the rejected Preludios #2 and #4 of the older set, and reworked that material into what became Preludio Corto #1 some eighteen years later.

With that in mind, I offer here all three of the Preludios discussed above, Nos. 2 and 4 of the 1930 set, followed by #1 of the 1948 cycle.

TECH DATA: Recorded January 1 2019, using my 2008 Kenny Hill "Rodriguez" model guitar, cedar and Indian rosewood. Strings are Augustine Imperial Blue. Camcorder is the reliable but non-fancified Flip UltraHD.

Last edited by David Norton on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Bertran

Re: Ponce, Manuel - Tres Preludios

Post by Bertran » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for your contributions and these lessons. Your addiction to guitar (and your room environment, too) gives us additional motivations.
Thank you for the reminder that Ponce become available, I have some piece of him in my schedule.

Best, Bertran II

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Well done, David. I have studied Preludio Corto #1 (the last in your recording). Did you deliberately ignore the rests in the bass line? My teacher wanted me to damp the basses abruptly, but Rene Izquerdo advised to damp them more gently. A matter of taste I suppose.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Well done, David. I have studied Preludio Corto #1 (the last in your recording). Did you deliberately ignore the rests in the bass line? My teacher wanted me to damp the basses abruptly, but Rene Izquerdo advised to damp them more gently. A matter of taste I suppose.
I tried it both ways, and to my ears "strictly following the rests" makes it sound too choppy. I first learned this piece many years ago, so old [and often incorrect] habits die hardest. I also happily blow through rests in many other pieces, notably Bach's Prelude 999, so Ponce is far from being lonely in that respect. :)
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:18 pm

BTW, it may be a good move administratively to create a separate section now for "Our recordings of Manuel Ponce", rather than to wait until there are lots of files to shuffle around.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:22 pm

David Norton wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm
Erik Zurcher wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:09 pm
I tried it both ways, and to my ears "strictly following the rests" makes it sound too choppy. I first learned this piece many years ago, so old [and often incorrect] habits die hardest. I also happily blow through rests in many other pieces, notably Bach's Prelude 999, so Ponce is far from being lonely in that respect. :)
I see what you mean. It does sound choppy with the rests.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 pm

David Norton wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:18 pm
BTW, it may be a good move administratively to create a separate section now for "Our recordings of Manuel Ponce", rather than to wait until there are lots of files to shuffle around.
I will ask Mr. Delcamp to create a Ponce subforum.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Well played David. Solid performances. :bravo:

It's years since I played any Ponce!! :)
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Well done, David. Nice to have the last one recorded. It has many of the elements that are typical of his guitar music, such as the repeated notes, pedal notes, three-string chords moving chromatically, very tonal yet wandering as well. Good student repertoire.

tateharmann

Re: Ponce, Manuel - Tres Preludios - Video

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Excellent work, David! Beautiful instrument and lovely playing. I really like this set of 24 preludes :) No. 24 is my fave.
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Return to “Our recordings of Manuel María Ponce”