Improving my sound

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Scuttlegoat

Improving my sound

Post by Scuttlegoat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Heyo,
I started doing youtube recordings of a few pieces recently, and someone told me that the sound doesn´t do my playing justice. Although I thought otherwise, it would probably be wise to improve it, since I aim to record some original pieces and/or arrangements I've been working on. I don´t really know If I'm allowed to show you my recordings yet (It´s only my second post), but I thought I could just give you a short overview of my recording situation. It would certainly be nice to have the best sound i can get (by redcording off of my living room, of course :wink:).

Right know I'm using two T.Bone Sc400 Microfones. Those are large diaphragm supercardioid microfones. I think they are mostly made for vocal recording.
http://www.t h o m a n n.de/gb/the_tbone_sc40 ... 0_156266_0
As an audio interface, i use a Line 6 POD UX2. I bought it way back when my focus was more on electric guitar. It was specially designed for electric guitarists. I don´t believe changing the interface would improve the sound greatly, though.
http://www.t h o m a n n.de/gb/line6_pod_stud ... 2_214446_0

I place the microfones about 40 centimeters away from the guitar, a bit to the front of my camera, so they can´t be seen. I aim one of them to a spot directly under the bridge and the other one to about the 12th to 10th fret. I record with cubase, where I also apply equalizers (maybe I´m doing that wrong...?). I also put in just a tiny bit of reverb, to get a wider sound.

Should i buy different microfones, that are made more specifically for acoustic guitars? Or am I just placing the microfones badly...? Maybe it´s the equalizers...?

I´d be grateful for any advice. If I´m allowed to, i could also put in one of my videos. I just didn´t already make a mistake in my second post (may also be my first! Don´t really know if the introductory post counts...).
Thanks in advance,
Leif.

pogmoor

Re: Improving my sound

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello Leif,
I hope someone will be along to give you some advice shortly. You will notice that the forum software automatically removed the commercial links you included in your post. You might like to bear in mind for future reference that the forum is generally non-commercial in ethos and we ask that you do not post direct links to commercial sites.

You could try looking through the recording and amplification section as there have been quite a lot of previous discussions about microphones and their placement - some of it from people with a good deal of expertise.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Scuttlegoat

Post by Scuttlegoat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Ohh, i´m sorry about that. I just posted them for reference, It was not my intention to promote something. I will keep that in mind from now on, thanks!

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:36 pm

I'd usually go for omni mics rather than cardoid. This can make a huge difference.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I just viewed your Scarborough fair video and the sound seemed fine for youtube. The video shows you are recording in a normal residential room, in that scenario omni might be worse as it will pick up more room acoustics that are not necessarily favourable.

The difference between "vocal" and "instrumental" mics is a bit irrelevant to an amateur recordist, as long as you are not recording with a kick drum mic you are fine. If you were doing a multilayered song recording and wanted the vocal and instrumental mics to each act as EQ on the corresponding source then it might matter a bit more, but for home recording solo guitar any mic with a vaguely flat response and decent bandwidth/frequency range is good. Unless of course you are rich and are after an expensive hobby, or you see yourself eventually being a professional recordist and want to build a microphone collection.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi, I want to share my own experiences.
first of all: Be sure that the tone you produce is really good. What about your nails? Your guitar? This is the most important issue here!

Now, concerning the mics: I sligtly disagree with tha last post but I only can speak for my own mics. I own mics like the T-Bone, too - they are even more expensive but they are basically the same. They are really great and and a good choice for vocal recording (my son uses one for his "let's play" videos and I see his voice perfectly represented!) but believe me, it is the worst choice for recording guitar! The sound it sooo bad. It is unbelievable bad! The recording results were always waste - compared with the result of e.g. the Rode NT5 mics or the cheaper Rode M3 mics. These mics are way better for guitar recording.

My impression is that you have to spend min. 1500 dollars to get a large diaphragm mic which produces the quality of sound of a small diaphragm mic like the Rode M3 when it comes to guitar recording. I know that some people will kill me virtually with this statement but it is verified by a professional "recordist" which I know, too.

So, if you are rich, then buy some really good small diaphragm mics. Let's say a Neumann KM184 stereo set. If you don't want to spend so much, look for the Rode NT5 matched pair or the cheaper Rode M3. Best is the Neumann pair AND the NT5 pair. People say they complement each other. With a Zoom H6 you can record while using all of them... and mix it together afterwards.

Another thing is: record with min. 24bit/96kHz and not 16bit/48kHz. At the end you (or youtube) will sample it down to 16bits for the mp3 format but it is different at the end.
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

andi33x wrote: So, if you are rich, then buy some really good small diaphragm mics. Let's say a Neumann KM184 stereo set. If you don't want to spend so much, look for the Rode NT5 matched pair or the cheaper Rode M3. Best is the Neumann pair AND the NT5 pair. People say they complement each other. With a Zoom H6 you can record while using all of them... and mix it together afterwards.
If you have a zoom H6 the built in mics are not too bad, probably comparable at least to the M3 if not the NT5.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm

sxedio wrote: If you have a zoom H6 the built in mics are not too bad, probably comparable at least to the M3 if not the NT5.
You are right. I have my zoom H6 since a very short time and tested it only once. But it is already obvious that the mics are very good, In any case much better than the H4 mics!
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:15 am

I'd recommend the NT5s with omni capsules. They're not top of the range but if you can't get a decent sound you'll know it's not the mics to blame. Cheap at the price.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”