Loop pedal

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Bobbio84

Loop pedal

Post by Bobbio84 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for looping pedals? I've heard that they're fairly inexpensive. Can the cheap ones only do one loop at a time or can you layer?

Just a toy I would like to get, but I don't want to get something that I'd be disappointed with either. I'm hoping that it will be good for my improvising.

Also, does anyone have any advice on this style of playing?

Blondie

Re: Loop pedal

Post by Blondie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 am

I had what I would call a cheap one - the Boss RC1. No problem with layers, a loop pedal wouldn't be much use if it couldn't do that. The quality was very good too, and fairly simple to use. I bought it with grand ideas of playing stuff like Pachelbels Canon and playing several different parts.

Unfortunately I cannot give you advice on this way of playing as I hated it! Found the the whole thing very frustrating, you have to get the timing absolutely bang on which is tough for slow pieces and the slightest playing error gets repeated again and again (so you have to erase and re-do). I found myself spending too much time fiddling with it and it was a hindrance rather than an aid. I admire players who can work with these things creatively and get a good groove going but it didn't work for me. I sold it on Flea Bay a few weeks later.

ipso facto

Post by ipso facto » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:50 am

I have the Digitech JamMan which does the layers. I bought it for electric. I virtually never play with anyone else and wanted it partly for the very reason that put Blondie off - i.e. to force myself to be disciplined about timing even when playing alone. With the JamMan you can erase the last overdub, so you don't have to start completely from scratch when you go wrong. There is a cheaper version with fewer footswitches, but this means you have to tap dance a bit to get to some of the functions. I am not really bothered about improvising but found myself less un-bothered after getting the pedal.

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks for the advice... Just another question or two if you could answer it.
Blondie wrote:I had what I would call a cheap one - the Boss RC1. No problem with layers, a loop pedal wouldn't be much use if it couldn't do that. The quality was very good too, and fairly simple to use. I bought it with grand ideas of playing stuff like Pachelbels Canon and playing several different parts.

Unfortunately I cannot give you advice on this way of playing as I hated it! Found the the whole thing very frustrating, you have to get the timing absolutely bang on which is tough for slow pieces and the slightest playing error gets repeated again and again (so you have to erase and re-do). I found myself spending too much time fiddling with it and it was a hindrance rather than an aid. I admire players who can work with these things creatively and get a good groove going but it didn't work for me. I sold it on Flea Bay a few weeks later.
For those Boss pedal, Blondie, after you record the first layer how do you add a second? Double click it or something?
ipso facto wrote:I have the Digitech JamMan which does the layers. I bought it for electric. I virtually never play with anyone else and wanted it partly for the very reason that put Blondie off - i.e. to force myself to be disciplined about timing even when playing alone. With the JamMan you can erase the last overdub, so you don't have to start completely from scratch when you go wrong. There is a cheaper version with fewer footswitches, but this means you have to tap dance a bit to get to some of the functions. I am not really bothered about improvising but found myself less un-bothered after getting the pedal.
Ipso facto, you said you can cancel out the last overdub, can you erase anything previous to that? For example, you record voice 1, voice 2 and then improv, but all of a sudden you want to take out voice 1. Is that possible?

Is this a special feature to your pedal... The cancelling out of th last loop? Or do all lo pedals have it?

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Pierre Bensusan did great things with his looper. Check him out sometime.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 am

Bobbio84 wrote: For those Boss pedal, Blondie, after you record the first layer how do you add a second? Double click it or something?
I can't remember, have a look at the manual or just watch one of the many video reviews to see exactly how it works:
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by ... s_manuals/

[media]https://youtu.be/watch?v=1JDJINcg0O4[/media]

It's the whole 'tap dancing on your pedal whilst concentrating on what your playing' that's tricky, its not just a matter of having good timing but coordination. No problem at home of course, but easy to get things wrong if you are under pressure playing live - if you caught the Sky Arts guitarist competition one of the entrants came unstuck using a looper.

ipso facto

Post by ipso facto » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Bobbio84 wrote:Ipso facto, you said you can cancel out the last overdub, can you erase anything previous to that? For example, you record voice 1, voice 2 and then improv, but all of a sudden you want to take out voice 1. Is that possible?
Not really... at least not without a lot of time and trouble and using software as well as the pedal itself. If that's what you need to do then something like Garageband on iPad is probably a better option.

Is this a special feature to your pedal... The cancelling out of th last loop? Or do all lo pedals have it?[/quote]
Dunno TBH - could well be they all have it.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”