How to make high quality uploads to YT etc.

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: How to make high quality uploads to YT etc.

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm slightly confused. I think that whenever you're playing via the laptop the sound card being employed is the laptop built in one. Like Guitarista says, you have to figure out how to switch off the laptop soundcard and exclusively use the better one you use. Which one do you have?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Per Lindhof wrote:Hi Guitarrista

I connect my laptop with a mini jack through the headset out/in.

I just tried to go on Soundcloud on my wifes HTC smart phone via the headset connection too. The result was a lot better and hard to differ from the Hi-Fi cd-player at all.

Maybe my computer is poor??

Regards
Per Lindhof
Yes, minijack means the computer's D/A converter (part of your computer soundcard if you have one, or part of the motherboard) is the one doing the conversion. The headphone minijack out is an analog medium for sound - unlike HDMI for example.

Look at all the outputs you have on your computer - if, apart from USB, all of them are analog (no HDMI, for example), then you can't really avoid the computer D/A when playing audio from your computer. (or maybe you can - through usb but you need other software and hardware and it's hard to guess without knowing specifics of the computer and hifi system)

So yes, it sounds like your wife's HTC phone has a better D/A converter :-)

Maybe you can tell us the exact make and model of your computer and of the hifi system/components - then looking up the specs should make it clear quickly if there is a way to send a digital audio signal to the hifi.
Last edited by guitarrista on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

LesC

Post by LesC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Per.

From your description so far, it definitely seems that your PC sound card digital-to-analog (DA) conversion is poor quality, which is perfectly normal. That's why we buy interfaces, such as your Roland Octa-Capture (OC), which through the USB connection gives you higher quality AD and DA conversion.

You're using your OC to connect your mics, so you're using the OC AD converter. You might try to use the OC DA converter to listen to your computer sound, which should give you much higher quality than the computer's built-in DA. To do this, you could connect the OC main output to your hi-fi input. Of course, you would need to configure the software producing music to use the OC output instead of the computer's headphone jack.

If I'm misunderstanding your problem, I apologize in advance.

Take care,
Les

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi again

I found the problem and its solution. I had for some reason a software running in the background of my computer which was supposed to somehow boost the quite poor signal through my poor loudspeakers in my laptop. When running it through my Hi-Fi it became totally exaggerated and emphasized some frequenzies too much.

Thanks a lot for all your serious feed back.

Regards
Per Lindhof

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Per Lindhof wrote: Thanks a lot for all your serious feed back.
Nice word play :)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Ah, so you had the "Make Everything Sound Like Heavy Metal" filter on.. that would do it :wink:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”