recording with video with no mic visible in synch

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
emeraldvalley

recording with video with no mic visible in synch

Post by emeraldvalley » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:55 pm

My goal is to basically do some youtube promo videos and for website. I have an environment without background noise with some natural reverb.
I don't want the mic(s) to show in the video. Planning on using an I RIg interface, where the mic( which I envision as either a shotgun, boom, or
directional one on floor fairly close to guitar, or some combination of these) where the mic output goes into the Irig and output then goes into lighting port of ios device. I want to avoid any editing of synching sound to visual, as its very hard to play a complicated classical piece perfectly in(lip synch) doing the audio first. I always notice when the fingering does not match the sound accurately.
I believe the irig has to be close to the video camera( either iPhone or ipad) .
DOes anyone have experience doing this and recommendations for relatively inexpensive mics that will be able to bring out dynamic and
tonal qualities of playing a premium classical guitar? also something that would reduce string fret noise.
thank you

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: recording with video with no mic visible in synch

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm not clear whether you are recording the audio separately from the video camera? - or does the interface carry the audio direct to video being recorded by a phone?

I've not heard of anybody trying to sync anything complicated to a previously recorded performance - I found it hard enough with easy song things in another style altogether.

I just looked up on Multimedia and there's no mention of microphone inputs on it.

There are lots of threads about microphones - you might want to trawl those.

Best way to reduce string squeak i, practice shifts to minimise them ii, semi-polished strings. I don't think any mic will avoid them that would not also impair the overall sound quality.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:37 pm

If you end up having to sync video and audio (recorded simultaneously) its helps to start the video using a metronome that has a light. Then sync the video/audio at the beginning using the audio clicks which will correspond to the visual light. Other methods include clapping hands, fingernail tap on bridge etc. The quicker attack and decay the sound has, the easier it will be to sync. Actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

LesC

Post by LesC » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:32 am

emeraldvalley wrote:DOes anyone have experience doing this and recommendations for relatively inexpensive mics that will be able to bring out dynamic and tonal qualities of playing a premium classical guitar?
I recently got a Line Audio CM3 and am quite happy with it. I've put it on the floor on a very short mic stand. About 3 feet away, pointed up towards the guitar, somewhere between the 12th fret and the sound hole. I'm still playing with it to optimize the position, but I like what I'm hearing.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:36 am

robin loops wrote:If you end up having to sync video and audio (recorded simultaneously) its helps to start the video using a metronome that has a light. Then sync the video/audio at the beginning using the audio clicks which will correspond to the visual light. Other methods include clapping hands, fingernail tap on bridge etc. The quicker attack and decay the sound has, the easier it will be to sync. Actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.
I have found it very easy to synch with Sony Vegas by magnifying the wave forms for the video camera audio and the separately recorded audio really big. Then it's super easy just to drag one track's waveform to be directly in line with the other. I don't ever need to do any clapping hands or anything like that.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:00 am

I agree with soltirefa above. People over complicate the process enormously, but it's very simple to do. I record my audio separately, and edit the file by boosting the signal if it is too weak, cutting the ends off, and perhaps adding a little reverb if I feel it is necessary. Then in the Sony Vegas video editing software it is really easy to align the edited soundfile with the wav form on the video - usually takes five to ten seconds.Then I hit the mute button for the sound on the video. Job done.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”