Any Musescore users out there (on Windows)?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
cmhodge

Any Musescore users out there (on Windows)?

Post by cmhodge » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I searched this forum for the open source WYSIWYG score editor Musescore, but only found one thread from a few years back. I just found this a few days ago and just started to dabble with it. So far it looks very promising. It's still a bit buggy, but is under very active development so I have high hopes it will be.
Before I devote too many hours to mastering this, I wanted to know if anyone is using this and getting useful scores from it? Also, I'd really appreciate if someone could explain how to have it use another sound font (the built in Windows one would be fine for my needs). By default, every voice plays on the Grand Piano sound.

cheers,
Chris

ice

Re: Any Musescore users out there (on Windows)?

Post by ice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi there,
MuseScore can be frustrating due to the bugs that you mentioned, however if you stick with it, it can certainly be used to produce nice-looking scores. As a test, I notated the first part of Marieta by Tarrega. Here is the PDF file. I'd be glad to send you the MSC file as well, but I can't attach it here. I am proud to say that I helped implement some of the guitar-related notations in the software.

You can see that it is capable of producing barre numbers: VII---|, circled-string numbers (you must currently add a normal number fingering, hit F2, and add a circle border, although I hope to put one in the fingering palette later), and pimac fingerings (the only notation software you will find with pimac in the fingering palette! :)). It is also possible to do glissando, and notate harmonics with diamond noteheads (playback is not correct, but it is something to work on). It does not have tablature support of any kind at the moment.

As for replacing the piano sound with a GM soundfont with all instruments, I direct you to the page in the manual on SoundFonts. I can't help you with Windows specific problems (I use GNU/Linux, personally), but if you post on the forums, I'm sure you will find help.

I must mention that if you do find bugs, it would be incredibly useful for everyone if you reported the bug to the forums. The author of the program is quick to fix any bugs you may find.

Feel free to ask me about how I did anything in the Marieta example. One of my goals is to make MuseScore easy for classical guitarists to use, because I personally use it to write classical guitar scores. The great thing about being an open-source program is that I can customize it to suit my needs as a guitar-player. I feel it is almost there (circled string numbers in the Fingering palette, as well as harmonic playback are two things on my TODO list), but it's already quite usable.

I hesitate to recommend it if you become easily frustrated by bugs, but if you see the value of having a free (open-source) notation program, especially one which is amenable to guitar-notation, I hope you will try it and report any bugs you find, or offer suggestions.

-ice

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:13 am

I just started using this program (9.5), I'm bumping this thread in case anyone has some tips. I just figured out how to do the circled string indicators, next I'm planning to read the instructions. :wink:

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am

I've used MuseScore for all my stuff here.

And whaddyamean, "I just figured out how to do the circled string indicators" -- don't you simply drag-and-drop them from the sidebar "fingering" tab?

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

I discovered Musescore a few weeks ago, and it looks a lot more intuitive than Lilypond and I can see my self using it a lot for lesson material. I've not done anything heavyweight with it yet due to lack of time.

Alan

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:39 pm

flameproof wrote:I've used MuseScore for all my stuff here.

And whaddyamean, "I just figured out how to do the circled string indicators" -- don't you simply drag-and-drop them from the sidebar "fingering" tab?
Yes but they are just numbers at that point, which confused me for a little. Once I "drop" it where I want to locate it, then I need to right-click it and select text, "frame in circle" and then select the size of the circle. In the fingering tab I have small numbers for the left hand, pimac, and then there are larger numbers in a slightly different font to be used as string indicators but they're not in circles at that point. Not a big deal but I don't understand why they aren't just already in circles on the fingering tab. I haven't even read the instructions yet but so far it seems pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

skmcclure

Post by skmcclure » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 am

I've used the Noteedit frontend for Lilypond and Finale Notepad but having only experimented with MuseScore for a few minutes, can anyone tell me if it is possible to make the output larger during printing?

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:52 pm

skmcclure wrote:(is it) possible to make the output larger during printing?
One way (there may be others)
  • Select Layout>PageSettings and alter the Page Size* so that what you see on each "screen" page is what you'd like to see on each physical page.
  • Save your score as a PDF
  • When you print the PDF select the Fit to Printable Area scaling option.

*you will want to make sure that you preserve the correct aspect ratio for whichever paper you wish to print upon.

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:50 pm

There are about to become (I hope) a lot more users of Musescore. The government here is giving every high school student a laptop containing a considerable number of open source programs, among them Musescore and Audacity:

http://www.techblog.org/news-12/01-310-aug-29-2009.html

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Moderato wrote:

Yes but they are just numbers at that point, which confused me for a little. Once I "drop" it where I want to locate it, then I need to right-click it and select text, "frame in circle" and then select the size of the circle..

Sorry, missed this...

Something's not right with your install, those circled numbers are there ready to drop for me.
MuseScoreFingering.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catire

Post by Catire » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:30 am

Just downloaded it, and played with it for a while. This really looks good. Thanks for posting this.
"Can it be there was only one summer when I was ten years old?"

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 pm

flameproof wrote:
Moderato wrote:

Yes but they are just numbers at that point, which confused me for a little. Once I "drop" it where I want to locate it, then I need to right-click it and select text, "frame in circle" and then select the size of the circle..

Sorry, missed this...

Something's not right with your install, those circled numbers are there ready to drop for me.
MuseScoreFingering.JPG
I'm not sure if I have that????/ I go to "create - text - fingering" and I get very small window with no circles. I'm using version 9.5 rev 2012. Unless that menu is somewhere I haven't found yet but I don't see anything which looks like that. When I start I do create new document and select "guitar."

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 pm

Ah, like that, it is a pain. The side-bar of options that you see in my JPG can be found by pressing F9, or checking Display>Palette in the top menus.

Also, your version is 0.9.5, not 9.5 -- the programmers (notably Werner Schweer whose baby MuseScore is) don't consider the program to have reached version 1.0 yet -- this bodes well for their intentions and the future of the product, IMO.

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 pm

flameproof wrote:Ah, like that, it is a pain. The side-bar of options that you see in my JPG can be found by pressing F9, or checking Display>Palette in the top menus.

Also, your version is 0.9.5, not 9.5 -- the programmers (notably Werner Schweer whose baby MuseScore is) don't consider the program to have reached version 1.0 yet -- this bodes well for their intentions and the future of the product, IMO.
Yes that worked! :D

:merci:

muchi

Post by muchi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 am

I was desperate to find a good score editor, and had the great fortune to come across MuseScore.

I think it is amazing software - and Freeware at that, too! I cannot recommend this program highly enough.

Just one question: Can anybody tell me how to alter the roman numerals for barre-chords? At the moment I can drag-and-drop a barre-line indicator, and stretch it to any length, but it always says: VII----- Any ideas on how to change it, for example, to II , or IV--- ?

If you can help me out, thanks so much! If you don't know what MuseScore is, google it and download it for free. It's outstanding.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”