Legnani, Luigi - op.19 Fantasia - Video

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Michael Butten

Legnani, Luigi - op.19 Fantasia - Video

Post by Michael Butten » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 am

Hi all!

I'm doing a competition in Liecester on Monday, so here's a video of me practicing Luigi Legnani's Fantasia for it in between students. Hope you enjoy!

norban

Re: Legnani, Luigi - Op.19 Fantasia

Post by norban » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:48 am

Brilliant, all the best on Monday :D :bravo: :merci:
A life without music is possible but very poor.

rpavich

Re: Legnani, Luigi - op.19 Fantasia - Video

Post by rpavich » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Wow. What technique and tone. That really sounded great.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

wazow

Post by wazow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Wow !

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

So how did you place in the competition?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Duang Turongratanachai
Student of the online lessons

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Great! :bravo:
All the best in Competition :casque:
Duang

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Your playing sounds fantastic! I know you did really good in the competition! Very nice.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Bravo!!!
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks very much for the kind comments, I'm pleased to say I won 1st at the competition so the practice paid off!

ContrerasMad

Post by ContrerasMad » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Superb! Congratulations on your 1st place and well deserved if you played like that on the day. Am relatively new to serious CG and am truly amazed at the memory retention of lengthy pieces like this. My hat goes off to you!

MikeTaylor
Student of the online lessons

Post by MikeTaylor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:00 am

Amazing piece and beautifully played
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:30 pm

ContrerasMad wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm
Superb! Congratulations on your 1st place and well deserved if you played like that on the day. Am relatively new to serious CG and am truly amazed at the memory retention of lengthy pieces like this. My hat goes off to you!
I'm glad you enjoyed! My parents aren't musicians and this is always the thing they are most impressed with, the memory aspect. This is also the aspect I've found easiest. To be able to play a piece with so many quick movements you have to have internalised all of them so they happen without thinking.

For me, memory slips happen when my mind specifically focuses on things that it shouldn't be focusing on, rather than me 'forgetting' bits. My best performances seem to have come when my mind is clear, but focused. Really hard to explain, so much so that I'm only now getting to grips with this feeling. It all comes from the practice room though, and awareness of what you're trying to achieve musically and how to enable that with optimum efficiency, so it feels easy.

Hope that gives an insight into how I approach practicing pieces like this, and good luck in you classical guitar journey!

ContrerasMad

Post by ContrerasMad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:51 pm

A really good explanation Michael. Thank you for taking the time out to explain from your perspective. I can actually understand from where you are coming from as, although nowhere on the same level as yourself, there are times when I am in the middle of a section, my mind goes completely blank and I just watch the fingers carry on and take me through it note perfect. The body never ceases to amaze me! I just now need for me to be able to go and get a cup of tea and let the fingers carry on through the whole of La Catedral on their own :cafe: :-D
Looks like I just have to knuckle down to it and learn each piece, section by section, until they all fall together. When I come to think about it, it's actually reminiscent of my Martial Arts days with the 'patterns' I used to perform. Being at a relatively senior level I had a total of 705 consecutive movements to perform at one of the last grading exams I was practicing for. As an outsider that would probably at first appear to be an impossible task for anyone to remember, but it took me 15 years of learning each section by section to finally be able to perform them successfully.
So there's hope for me on the guitar yet! :chitarrista:

Martin Bickerton

Post by Martin Bickerton » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Nicely played Michael!
I think what you are talking about is a "Flow State" where your fingers seem to know what they are doing, and your mind is clear of distraction.

When you say:
For me, memory slips happen when my mind specifically focuses on things that it shouldn't be focusing on
are you talking about focusing too closely on a specific task (as in Explicit monitoring theory) or getting distracted by random thoughts invading your mind?

M

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 am

ContrerasMad wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:51 pm
A really good explanation Michael. Thank you for taking the time out to explain from your perspective. I can actually understand from where you are coming from as, although nowhere on the same level as yourself, there are times when I am in the middle of a section, my mind goes completely blank and I just watch the fingers carry on and take me through it note perfect. The body never ceases to amaze me! I just now need for me to be able to go and get a cup of tea and let the fingers carry on through the whole of La Catedral on their own :cafe: :-D
Looks like I just have to knuckle down to it and learn each piece, section by section, until they all fall together. When I come to think about it, it's actually reminiscent of my Martial Arts days with the 'patterns' I used to perform. Being at a relatively senior level I had a total of 705 consecutive movements to perform at one of the last grading exams I was practicing for. As an outsider that would probably at first appear to be an impossible task for anyone to remember, but it took me 15 years of learning each section by section to finally be able to perform them successfully.
So there's hope for me on the guitar yet! :chitarrista:
Of course, I'm glad to help! Coincidentally, I used to do taekwondo as a kid and got to 1st Dan black belt, before choosing between guitar and taekwondo. I think the life with less getting kicked in the head appealed to me more...! The patterns are a very good comparison though, if you can memorise those you can memorise a piece, although the fineness of the movements and the instant feedback with sound that you get in music make it a slightly different ball game.

And the bit you're talking about with your mind going blank is a feeling I know very well, thinking 'if I mess up here I have no idea where I am or how to get back in...' This, I think, is the source of some of the larger memory slips I've seen and experienced in performance, but mercifully it hasn't happened in quite a long time. The more layers of memory you can add to your learning of a piece, the less susceptible to slips you are. The easiest one is repetition to acquire muscle memory, however, knowing the structure of the piece, the chord progressions all help.

Something that is helping me a lot now is knowing knowing what positions my fingers are in at specific moments. So for example, knowing when I'm planting fingers for an arpeggio or when I'm resting my thumb on a bass string, this happens pretty regularly so if you do forget something you have a reference point coming up to reset and get back onto the right track.

Anyway, hope that helps more, and enjoy your classical guitar journey!

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”