Alan F - an introduction

Alan F

Alan F - an introduction

Post by Alan F » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello all

I have played guitar for over 50 years, although hardly any of it in the true classical style. I recall learning a Bach piece at school for a music competition. I hope, however, that you will allow me into your club. I have always loved classical guitar music and am starting to learn the different classical guitar techniques (vs jazz / latin).

I appreciate many of you may consider me not to be a 'proper' musician. My 'sight reading' is average. But I can play well by ear and love improvising and composing. Over the years my musical tastes and experiences took me into pop, rock and jazz, including some recording work and an appearance on Opportunity Knocks in 1974. Most of my music has been on steel stringed instruments although I've always kept and played a nylon stringed guitar (by Vincente Sanchis Badia) that I bought in Spain in 1978: not a great instrument but it has served me well.

Having played in many bands over the years, mostly in my native Yorkshire (UK), I recently retired to Somerset where I have found some amazing musicians to play jazz with, my current band being Blue Dimpsey.

My guitars are a Hanika 58 CF (spruce / rosewood classical), Martinez Stage Guitar (spruce / rosewood nylon jazz), Taylor T5 Custom (koa electric), Faith Neptune (spruce / trembesi steel acoustic), Anderwood Weissenborn (mahogany lap steel), Fender Strat (electric) and my old Vincente Sanchis Badia.

I look forward to being part of your community.

Alan

oski79

Re: Alan F - an introduction

Post by oski79 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Smudger5150

Re: Alan F - an introduction

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Delcamp. I suspect members of Delcamp come in all shapes and sizes (with reference to styles played and classical experience etc) so I don't think you need to worry about how much classical guitar you've played especially as there are a lot of beginners and intermediates (like me) as well as lots of more accomplished players.

Very interesting to hear that you were on Opportunity Knocks - I'm wondering if one could find you on the 'Tube. I'll have a little search later....

Regards

Steve aka Smudger5150
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “Introduce yourself”