Greetings from Cartagena, Colombia

Eduardo Bossa

Greetings from Cartagena, Colombia

Post by Eduardo Bossa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Eduardo Bossa and I am a classical guitar maker in Cartagena, Colombia.

Classical guitar making, hmmm... It was a long and winding road, but I finally ended up making guitars. And I love it! I started out playing classical guitar, went at it for several years in the Fine Arts School of Cartagena and later on in the Amsterdam Conservatorium in the Netherlands. However, as I got further into it, I got less interested in performing and more interested in the mysteries of guitar making. What makes a guitar great? What makes each guitar so individual and different from each other? How come (most) luthier made guitars are sooo much more expressive than factory made ones?

So I ended up trying to find out for myself: reading, listening, studying guitars, and eventually making my own guitars. And in the process I found out that a) there is surprisingly little information about the subject, and great information is even harder to come by; b) it is natural that there is little information as there are things that just can't effectively be put into words, and c) there are no straight answers, it is all relative and takes constant study, trial and error, and sharing and collaboration to further this art. And it is on the latter that you guys come in: this platform allows us to share and collaborate in ways that were previously unavailable.

I apologize beforehand because I do not post very often. I wish I could, but I do not have the time. I have been a regular reader of your forums but I have never posted before mainly for two reasons. Firstly, I find that you have so many valuable contributors that I usually don't find much to add to what has already been said. Secondly, when I do think of something I want to constribute, then usually someone will post whatever it is I wanted to say first, and better written than I ever could have myself :) . But I will make an honest attempt to pitch in every now and then.

Finally, I want to thank you all for your entertaining and informative posts; they are as much valuable as fun to read.
Last edited by Eduardo Bossa on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.eduardobossaguitarras.com

simonm

Re: Greetings from Cartagena, Colombia

Post by simonm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Eduardo,

- Lots of makers here although not many, if any, from South America.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".

Regards,

Simon

Eduardo Bossa

Post by Eduardo Bossa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Thank you very much, Simon!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Eduardo
Thank you for saying such nice things about the forum. Whenever you have time, it will be great to hear from you again. I am certain that your experience provides you with much good advice to share. All the best!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Eduardo Bossa

Post by Eduardo Bossa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:00 am

Hi Cathy. Thank you very much for your encouragement; it is much appreciated.

Return to “Introduce yourself”