Hello my fellow guitarists!

CarlosSanJuanito96

Hello my fellow guitarists!

Post by CarlosSanJuanito96 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Greetings and salutations to everyone here, I'm glad I could make it.

My name is Carlos Ordonez, I'm 21, living in Toronto and I'm currently a music student in my tentative final year of university. My cultural roots are planted in South America, Ecuador, which has been a large part of my musical development and appreciation; when I was a child, my father would play beautiful Ecuadorian folk music and I would move to the beautiful melodies and rhythms. But now onto the real meat of the introduction: my journey with the Guitar.

My "unofficial" musical journey began when I was a child and my grandmother and father would play guitar. I'm told I would sit, entranced, and listen to everything they played.

My "official" musical life began in Grade 10 (that seems ages ago!), when I enrolled in a music class. The class was not specialized in guitar or even in strings but was a "big band" sort of class. Violinists, brass players, pianists, even a timpanist and a double bassist all demanded the attention of one music teacher, a man who I am forever indebted to. In addition, there was something like 12 guitarists in the class so even more of the teacher's attention was diverted elsewhere. My school had access only to steel-string acoustic guitars so my beginnings of a guitarists took place strumming chords, and trying to get through Stairway to Heaven, Dream On, Dust in the Wind and all of the "mandatory" guitar showpieces. The lack of individual attention from the teacher led to me becoming my own teacher.

Grade 10 ended and, when Grade 11 came around, I enrolled again in the music class. It was around this time that I began dabbling with the Electric Guitar; I even went so far as to request one as a gift from my grandmother. Long story short, I have now sold my electric guitar and have never looked back (absolutely no offence implied here, it's just not for me). After Grade 11 I became acquainted with the beautiful Classical Guitar. Here was an instrument that could achieve sonorities and tone colors that had never been available to me before! My life was changed forevermore.

Fast forward a couple years and I'm taking legitimate lessons at University! My tutor, who shall remain anonymous, has become my mentor, adviser and my friend.

Well that was the (sort of) condensed version of my journey with the Guitar and I'm currently working piece-wise on Giuliani's Guitar Sonata in C and technique-wise on getting a solid tremolo going.

Thanks for reading! Glad to be here!

:bye:
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand trapped in awe, is as good as dead."

-Albert Einstein

George Crocket

Re: Hello my fellow guitarists!

Post by George Crocket » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 am

Greetings, Carlos. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting introduction.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Since you have posted two messages you may access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”