Greetings from Wilmington, DE

Danno3

Greetings from Wilmington, DE

Post by Danno3 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:36 am

I am relatively new to classical guitar. In fact, I am relatively new to guitars in general, although I have been a musician most of my life.

I was inspired to take up classical guitar after watching Coco last December. Although the music is not mostly classical per se, I loved the sound of the guitar and the harmonies and rhythms of the music.

I first learned to play piano starting at age 8 and taking lessons through high school. I also played trombone in the high school band. I should mention that all of my three siblings also learned piano and played in the high school band. My two brothers also played trombone.

After high school, I had no access to a piano for a long time other than when I visited my parents. When we moved to Wilmington in 1985, we joined a church with a handbell choir. I joined the handbell choir and learned to do solo ringing.

So how did I take up guitar? My youngest brother became a professional pianist with amazing talent. He can play anything by ear, but in addition he is an amazing arranger. I have a video of a Christmas medley in which at least 8 different songs appear, at least momentarily, all woven together like a magic carpet. The point of this is that when I was at my parents’ house, usually with all my siblings and their families, none of us wanted to play the piano because my brother was so good. I decided I would learn to play an instrument no one else played so that I couldn’t be compared to any of my siblings.

I started taking lessons about 10 years ago, and I was mostly focused on bluegrass guitar. I still play some bluegrass regularly. My teacher suggested working on classical guitar to improve my technique, especially my left hand.

The funny part of all this is that even though I was only a beginning guitarist, my mother, an extremely accomplished pianist and organist, thought my playing was wonderful. Despite her skills on the keyboards, the guitar was a real mystery to her.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading everyone’s posts and trying to learn all I can to become a better player.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Wilmington, DE

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:28 am

Hello Danno3 and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”