Greetings from Pennsylvania

flackjensen

Greetings from Pennsylvania

Post by flackjensen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi all!

I'm new the site and making an intro post.

I've been playing guitar for about 17 years, and just in the 5 I discovered the joys (and challenges!) of classical guitar. I had been interested in learning classical for some time, and found a teacher in the town I was living. He was a retired science professor by trade, but an amazing amazing guitar instructor. I owe any skill I now possess to him!

I'm not currently taking lessons, which is part of the reason why I've joined up--so I can ask questions on pieces I'm learning and look up other advice on the forum. I play a handful of Sor studies, a couple pieces of Villa-Lobos, a couple pieces by Bach, and handful of other random pieces. My teacher tended to give me rather difficult pieces, but he taught me how to go slowly, so I think they are coming along well, even if not fast.

I'm currently working the Gavotta Choro by Villa-Lobos, and the Allegro to Bach 998. I can play both slowly, but working on refining them and bringing them up to speed (especially the Allegro :o ). I kind of want to work on the 998 Fugue next (since I play the Prelude), but am a bit intimidated and may find a few other easier pieces, since I only play about a dozen or so.

Thanks!

oski79

Re: Greetings from Pennsylvania

Post by oski79 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Introduce yourself”