Learning Guitar in Texas

bobscully

Learning Guitar in Texas

Post by bobscully » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello All

I am nearing retirement and after all these years have found the courage to tackle learning the guitar. I was taught piano by nuns when I was small, and have played at the guitar for many years, but with no formal training. Recently a local talent named Juan Manuel offerred to teach clasees, and I decided to take the plunge.

I have not looked back. Juan is an excellent and very knowledgable instructor and has been teaching us simple classical pieces such as Romaza, Lagrima, Etude #1 by Villa Lobos, selected etudes by Sor, and most recently a simplified Malaguena. Juan has spent a lot of time teaching us theory of the guitar, such the circle of fifths, and other straight-forward information, I feel I have learned a great deal from Juan, and would recommend him to anyone.

Thanks to Juan, I now feel I am for the first time actually playing the guitar, rather than just plucking around. :)

I found this forum while searching for a copy of Villa Lobos Etude #1 with the chords diagrammed across the top of the music. Perhpas such a copy is somewhere here?

I have looked at some of the conversations here and I can tell you that I am quite the novice compared to many folks who post here. I hope to learn from their wisdom and experience.

Bob Scully

George Crocket

Re: Learning Guitar in Texas

Post by George Crocket » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Hello Bob. Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. You will see there that it will not be possible for you to find any Villa-Lobos sheet music (or recordings for that matter). We do try to maintain the forum free from copyright breaches (amongst other things) and the works of Villa-Lobos remain restricted.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

fraim

Re: Learning Guitar in Texas

Post by fraim » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:17 pm

hello bob & welcome to the site from a member living in the Big D
hope your studies with juan continue to go well!

Return to “Introduce yourself”