Greetings from Lincolnshire, UK

David Brown

Greetings from Lincolnshire, UK

Post by David Brown » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm

This is my 'Introductory Post', and I'm following the recommended format.

Here we go...

Q. Do I play guitar?
A. To some extent. I used to play classical guitar decades ago (and not very well), but petered out over the years. I experimented with jazz guitar about twenty years ago but didn't really get very far with that. After 'retiring' I discovered gypsy jazz, bought myself a decent (JWC) gypsy jazz guitar and am making quite good progress as I now have time to practise.

I just completed a classical guitar-building course with Roy Courtnall (roycourtnall) as a result of which I now have a decent classical guitar as well, and this has motivated me to embark on re-learning some of the classical repertoire. It's coming back to me bit by bit, and so far I'm finding if I spend alternate days on classical stuff and gyspsy jazz it works quite well.

I also hope to develop the skills Roy taught me, and to become a proficient luthier. I'm planning to market my guitars under the name 'Opus One Guitars' and have set up a (rudimentary) website at opus-one-guitars.uk. (My understanding of the Delcamp rules is that it's OK for me to say that -- apologies if not!)

That seems to have provided As to all the Qs in the list, except:

Q. What pieces are you currently working on?
A. Classical: Villa Lobos Etude No. 1; gypsy jazz: All Of Me.

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Lincolnshire, UK

Post by George Crocket » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi David. Welcome to the forum. Isn't it great to have the time in retirement to enjoy what we love?

Our welcome page has more information about the forum and its rules, but you seem to know that. It is certainly OK to mention your lutherie business here in your introduction, but by and large self-promotion should be confined to our Members' Announcements section.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”