Hello from Western NY USA

Aero1490

Hello from Western NY USA

Post by Aero1490 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 am

Hello everyone. My name is Greg and I'm 65 yrs old. Do play the piano - horribly - but have take formal lessons for a couple of years, including jazz.
Do love the guitar also, and have a parlor guitar which I dabble on also. Considering purchasing a classical soon. Sold my Yamaha CG101 and I'm-sorry I did. Any recommendations for a good guitar not too expensive. Looking forward to this forum. All the best. Greg

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Western NY USA

Post by GeoffB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:52 am

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum! You should be able to find some tips on suitable guitars in our "Advice on Buying" section here.

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Aero1490

Hello from Lancaster, New York

Post by Aero1490 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Update: I will try to ease into classical guitar. My background in music is piano, and I do know a good amount or theory.
Can read music and enjoy playing good jazz arrangements. I'm not a great piano player by no means, but I do get some stress relief at the keyboard.
Also dabble in acoustic guitar. There I enjoy using tab. Being 65 yrs young, the hands are not as flexible as I would like them to be.
My wife is encouraging me to get a starter guitar and dabble with it. Don't mind learning where the notes are on the fretboard. Will refrain from using tab. Had a Classical Guitar 10 yrs. ago. Difficulty in properly holding in the classical position. Do have a Dynarette support. May need to try something else. Anyway, looking forward to any advise. Books I have are Pumping Nylon by Scott Tenant and Christopher Parkening's Vol1 method book.
Greg

Aero1490

Re: Hello from Western NY USA

Post by Aero1490 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just saw this today.
Greg

Return to “Introduce yourself”