Greetings, I'm looking for the RIGHT book!

jmauer

Greetings, I'm looking for the RIGHT book!

Post by jmauer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 am

Hi
I have been listening to classical guitar, and thinking of my old friend Rodrigo. It was about 6 years ago when I was in Quintano Roo, MX, learning about latin rythm, playing my accordion. Rodrigo was a local classical guitarist, and we formed a duo, and we went on a mini tour playing at various events that were part of the Maya Riviera film festival, sponsered by a Mezcal company from Monterey. Now, this makes me sound like a very cool and well traveled person, but for me, it was a very unusually cool situation to be in.

Fast forward; I don't play the accordion anymore, and I live in Arkansas. I play old time fiddle semi proffesionally now, and am honing my woodworking skills. It's the winter, and I think I'd like try my hand at the classical guitar.

I've come to this forum in search of a referance to the right book. Finding the right book for someone like me could be a bit of a challenge:
-I'm a lifelong semi proffesional accordionist gone fiddler
-I can read music quite well
-I have extensive jazz harmony training
-I'm only interested in CLASSICAL guitar, not pop music played on the "classical guitar"
-I know absolutely nothing about playing the classical guitar
-I've been looking for a way into classical repertoire for a long time - the accordion wasn't it, the "fiddle" is certainly not either. I did play some Chopin on accordion and loved it although it was over my head. I have played some of Bartok's "easy duets for violins" on my fiddle, and really loved that, but I can't quite get my girlfriend into playing the other parts on a regular basis.

Any books for a beginner like me? Any favorites?

Thanks and hello.
-j

oski79

Re: Greetings, I'm looking for the RIGHT book!

Post by oski79 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:36 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Pirooz Emad

Post by Pirooz Emad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 am

It sounds like you need to learn classical guitar technique. I would recommend Aaron Shearer's 3 part 'Learning the Classic Guitar' published by Mel Bay. With your music background I bet you can make good progress if you are patient and develop good habits early.

A.S. Has taught a lot of people, his most famous student likely being Manuel Barrueco. If you haven't heard Barrueco already, treat yourself to any of his recordings to see what is possible to accomplish with this instrument. Although the two had a feisty relationship I'm pretty sure the learning went both ways.

Good luck!

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:41 am

jmauer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 am
... the right book. Finding the right book for someone like me could be a bit of a challenge:
Hi "jmauer"!

There are several good method books out there. Shearer, as recommended above, is one of them. Since you already read music, you might also try the Julio Sagreras Lessons for Guitar (in 6 volumes). I think the exercises effectively cover a wide range of techniques fairly early on, and they sound pretty good, too. It doesn't spend as much time on music basics as some others do...but it also doesn't give as much detailed technical instructions either.

After the first volume or so, you will probably want to start exploring the standard guitar repertoire. There are tons of sources of graded repertoire, (and lots of advice here on this forum) but I'd try learning to navigate the guitar a bit first.

I know you didnt ask this, but please also consider finding a good CG teacher, at least for a few lessons. You probably can self-teach out of the Sagreras lessons, but it will go much easier & faster if you have someone to explain. With your musical background, I suggest NOT going to the local "dude who teaches at a music store", but seek someone who teaches at nearby colleges; they might also teach privately, and some of their graduate students might be quite good!

If you live in a city, you could also find performers you respect and approach them for advice, maybe after a gig? Many teachers might also agree to occasional lessons, which might be appropriate given your prior musical experience.

cheers!
dirck

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 am

A teacher is always recommended.

You might look at solo guitar playing by noad.

Also you might consider joining the lessons on here.
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 am

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:41 am
jmauer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 am
... the right book. Finding the right book for someone like me could be a bit of a challenge:
Since you already read music, you might also try the Julio Sagreras Lessons for Guitar (in 6 volumes). I think the exercises effectively cover a wide range of techniques fairly early on, and they sound pretty good, too. It doesn't spend as much time on music basics as some others do...but it also doesn't give as much detailed technical instructions either.
And you can get the Sagreras Lessons for free here:
https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... reras.html
With you musical background, you can proceed quickly through the first part of volume 1.
Bernhard

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Jmauer,
I’m another fan of the Aaron Shearer books. You might also check out Christopher Berg who has written several books. I also agree that it would save you a lot of learning frustration if you’ll seek out a classically trained guitarist for some formal lessons to get you started correctly and safely with technique and healthy playing posture. While the various books illustrate these things having a skilled teacher at your side will be an invaluable resource.
Do a search in your area for classical guitar societies and make a connection with them.
Wishing you a successful Classical Guitar adventure!
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

jmauer

Post by jmauer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks all for the prompt and helpful replies!
I'll be looking into those resources while keeping my eye out for a guitar.
Glad to know there is an online community.
-j

Pirooz Emad

Post by Pirooz Emad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am

Another great resource is Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant, a founding member of the LA Guitar Quartet. I have found his book and videos quite helpful. An area of fundamental importance in classical guitar technique is sound production using finger nails, which both Scott and his fellow USC teacher and LAGQ member Bill Kannengeiser address very effectively (check out Youtube).

Good Luck!

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi jmauer,

Limiting yourself to one book is like limiting yourself to one album of songs. The guitar is to vast of an instrument to be held in one tome especially if examples are to be provided. Just something to think about.

Return to “Introduce yourself”