Hello from New York City

remmersmusic

Hello from New York City

Post by remmersmusic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:29 am

Hello all!

At the risk of being pedantically specific, but with the desire to be sure to include all relevant info, here are my replies to the series of questions that act as a survey for a great intro post!

1) Do you play guitar? Are you a lover of guitar music, but don't play yourself? Are you a Luthier?
I play guitar! The rest of presently not applicable

2) How long have you played? What is your experience? How old (young) were you when you started? Or did you just start last week?
I've played for about 15 years and I was a teen when I began playing.

3) Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught? Are you a teacher of Classical Guitar?
4) Did you start with another type of guitar or musical instrument, and then discover the Classical Guitar?
I'll answer these together. I took lessons in my teens after a period of self-teaching, prioritizing jazz, blues, and rock styles. I have been self-teaching since and am currently a teacher of those styles, but not a teacher of Classical guitar. Otherwise, I am a professional classical musician (namely a pianist, vocalist, and conductor).

5) What type of music are you particularly interested in? What pieces are you currently working on?
I am especially interested in folk songs and Spanish music as well as eventually playing arrangements of Bach. I am looking for pieces that are ideal for an advanced reader of sheet music but a relative beginner with Classical style. I am hoping some folks on this forum could help guide me here. A lot of the literature I've been finding for beginner Classical guitarists also assumes a beginner level of musicianship, with concepts such as rhythms and keys being taught alongside the technicals. I am looking for no shortcuts when it comes to Classical technique, mind, but I am growing a bit weary of simplified or beginner approaches to the general musicianship.

6) Do you have a large gap in your life when you stopped playing the guitar?
Never! It's been with me always.

7) And so on! Anything that you wish to share with us will be much appreciated.
My other great passion is film and I really love cookies!

Thanks! It's great to be here!

oski79

Re: Hello from New York City

Post by oski79 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Introduce yourself”