Hello from California

EmmettRay

Hello from California

Post by EmmettRay » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I am an intermediate player for about 20 plus years (grin) and mostly self taught. The resource of the internet has been helpful in identifying all the things I’ve done wrong over the years. And the few things I’ve done right.

Classical guitar has recently (re)peaked my interest over the past year more so than before. I’d account it to an unexpected, out of the blue purchase of a used 1970s-ish, made in Sweden Goya G-10 that I randomly stumbled upon online. It was filthy and had missing strings so I was able to get a very good bargain. I am always on the look out for a good beach/camping guitar so why not? Well, after restringing and cleaning it up… I don’t know… I sort of just fell in love the rich tone and its ease of playability - which I later realized and attribute to the short scale (630 mm) of the guitar. The shorter scale was something I never really considered (ever) but it made a world of difference in feel and playability to me.

I certainly understand the guitar is no high end, finely tuned, hand crafted piece of masterful luthier work but I am certainly pleased with it for now. It is an examined life strangeness to me that this random, supposedly beater guitar purchase re-surged an interest of guitar playing that has until recently been waning. I quickly reconsidered it's value as a beach/camping guitar.

Let's see... I’ve recently acquired a copy of the 2018 Royal Conservatory Guitar Syllabus to sort of gauge what to self-study as reference. It's a great material to own. Tárrega's Adelita, Brouwer's Estudio Sencillo No. 6 and Sor's Opus 31 No. 4 are a (very) small number of pieces I’ve recently worked through.

Anyhow, I've been lurking here for some time and thought I should open an account. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by EmmettRay on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from San Francisco, California

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello EmmettRay and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Rick Hutt

Re: Hello from California

Post by Rick Hutt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi ER and welcome to the forum. Goya made some absolutely wonderful instruments. One of my students had one from 1961 and was playing it to great effect for years. She never bought another guitar. She loved it that much. Glad you found it and from the pieces you are playing, it seems you are well on your way. Enjoy the forum!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
2018 Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundo flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

rguitar

Re: Hello from California

Post by rguitar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:11 am

Hi Emmett. Nice to hear about your short scale guitar. I currently play a 640 length and am considering going down to 600 for a custom build. Comparing 640 to 600 on a tape measure - it's quite a difference, but then I realized that it's similar to putting a capo on the first fret, which makes my guitar *really* comfortable and nice to play.

Welcome to the forum - lots of good stuff here!

Return to “Introduce yourself”