Hello from England

Miller

Hello from England

Post by Miller » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am

Just wanted to make an introductory post per the forum rules.

I'm from the south of England, in Romsey but about to move to Bristol. My name is Matt although I prefer my last name because I know far too many Matts! I've been reading this forum for a while now but finally signed up now as I think I would gain more from the forum if I could see pictures being posted and browse the transcriptions properly. In all honesty though I don't think I'm an accomplished enough guitarist to contribute much to the forum :desole:

I have been playing classical guitar for a few years now, having played electric guitar previously for about a decade rather obsessively. I used to play 6-8 hours a day and was rather shocked to find that it didn't really give me much of a head start when I switched to classical guitar! I've never taken a lesson in my life, apart from what I've found online here and there, but I'm reaching a plateau in my playing that I think a teacher would be needed to correct. Unfortunately I'm not in a position with enough free time to do so.

I can play a few pieces up to scratch, almost all of which I learned via tab. Romance, Lagrima, Capricho arabe and Serenata Morisca (anonymous; Tarrega; Barrios). The latter two I think are above my real skill level as any similarly difficult piece I would give up on within minutes of trying to read without tab but I've been practicing them slowly and carefully every day for three years emulating the dynamics of various players until I found my own sweet spots. I sometimes listen to other guitarists play them but always end up feeling like they're not doing it right because they aren't doing it my way.

I'm now using musical notation because tab doesn't convey enough information but it takes me an eternity to get through a piece. It feels like I've learned the alphabet but can't read words (chords) without piecing them together letter by letter, sentences (bars) are beyond my grasp and sight reading (hey that one works already!) is but a pipe dream. I've learned Edson Lopes' transcription of Bach's Cello Prelude no.1 in G via notation and I think this is the real skill level I am at. I'm attempting to learn Shostakovich's Waltz no.2 and Leo Brouwer's Un Dia De Noviembre and have the a theme of each down. I'm also attempting to learn Edson Lopes' transcription of Tocatta and Fugue in D minor at a rate of about 1 bar a month so maybe in five years time I'll have that down :chaud:

I hope this is a satisfactory introduction, I look forward to getting to know people on here better and learning as much as I can from you all.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from England

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello Miller and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Miller

Re: Hello from England

Post by Miller » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I've read the rules before and do worry that I'll fail to contribute enough to remain active as I'm not a professional by any means and don't want to give bad advise to anyone. I will update my location now.

Return to “Introduce yourself”