Learning classical guitar in Detroit

Marilynn Mattison-Wright

Learning classical guitar in Detroit

Post by Marilynn Mattison-Wright » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 am

Hi, I just joined this forum. I have always wanted to play the guitar and to play classical music. I received a guitar when I was around 13 years old, but I couldn't afford lessons and I couldn't teach myself using the free book that came with the guitar, so I ended up giving my guitar away. I have constantly thought about playing the classic guitar throughout the years and now have the time to learn to play the classic guitar because I am retired. I tried to teach myself to play the classic guitar, but soon realized that this was virtually impossible for me to do by myself. I am now getting classic guitar lessons, but I want to learn more (basics). I feel like I have missed out on so many skills that people much younger than me have already learned. I have been playing the classical guitar for about one and a half years. I am a beginner. My guitar teacher recommended this site to me. I hope to make some new friends and learn more about playing the classic guitar. I feel like a sponge waiting to soak up any knowledge that is presented to me.

Marilynn

Erik Zurcher

Re: Learning classical guitar in Detroit

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 am

Hello Marilynn and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Marilynn Mattison-Wright

Post by Marilynn Mattison-Wright » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Marilynn

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am

Welcome Marilynn!
Congratulations on your retirement. Best of luck with your guitar studies. I am in the metropolitan Detroit area and find that there is a surprising amount of classical guitar activity, especially if you are willing to travel a bit.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Marilynn Mattison-Wright

Post by Marilynn Mattison-Wright » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for your kind comments. Glad to know there is some classical guitar activity in the Detroit area.

Marilynn

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Marilynn,

Welcome to the forum. I am a Michigan boy myself. You should not feel like you have missed out. You have today and like Pooh Bear says "Today is the best day" If you need anything email me. Do not forget to ring out that sponge so you can absorb more knowledge.

Scott

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Welcome Marilynn.

I see you may join the lessons. Even though they are well underway, don’t hesitate to jump in at your chosen level (D01-D05). You might do a little reading and listening to some of the student videos to get an idea what it’s about. The monthly recordings you submit are a great way to get a little “performance” practice and some awesome encouragement from you fellow students from around the world. If your teacher recommended this I’m sure you’ll be able to coordinate your lessons with the online program and material: best of both worlds. Your teacher can steer you to the correct level for your current ability.

I recommend going to the latest lesson in your chosen level and send an introductory message to your mates and the moderator to give them a heads up you are on board. Then they’ll be sure to try and pop in to listen to your work. You can jump in at any point, but it’s probably a good idea to start at lesson 1. As you may know you need to submit your work for 7 of the 10 lessons to participate in the final exam. This may be a challenge catching up before May when the exam comes out. Buts it is doable if you don’t start to far above the level of your current skills. Of course all of this is voluntary.

If you have any other questions don’t be afraid to ask and someone will chime in.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Marilynn Mattison-Wright

Post by Marilynn Mattison-Wright » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:06 am

Hi Rick,

Thanks for explaining to me how to get started with the lessons. I need all the help I can get. :)

Thanks again,
Marilynn

Return to “Introduce yourself”