Hello from Madison, Wisconsin, USA!

Possumtale

Hello from Madison, Wisconsin, USA!

Post by Possumtale » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:28 am

I bought my first guitar with the money from my 8th grade graduation...40 years ago. At the time, I didn’t even realize It was a classical guitar. Nevertheless, I found an excellent instructor (I grew up in Chicago), and took lessons for the next five years. I moved to Wisconsin to go to University of Wisconsin in Madison. I found another instructor, but had a hard time affording lessons as a self-supporting college student. Once I became a parent, I put down the guitar altogether.
This past month, I got it in my head to ask for a new guitar for Christmas. It’s been a difficult year and I’m feeling the need to return to the things in life that make me happy. My husband and brother went in on the gift, which arrived just two weeks ago. I’ve been practicing everyday with enthusiasm. Just the basic left and right hand exercises, with a strong focus on form and technique. I’m relearning note reading slowly as well.
I’m a bit surprised and pleased to discover my hands must have some muscle memory. It probably helps to have a guitar better suited to my small frame than the one I first learned on. I plan to take lessons in person as soon as I find a local instructor I like. I’ve secured a few recommendations. In the meantime, I have been exploring what’s available online. The internet wasn’t a thing last time I played. I just discovered this forum and look forward to being an active member!

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Madison, Wisconsin, USA!

Post by George Crocket » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:30 am

Hi Possumtale. Welcome to the forum. Many of us have had long gaps in our guitar-playing histories. It is great that you have retained some of what you learned. With luck, more will come back in a short time.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Welcome Possumtale, and a belated but sincere Happy New Guitar Day!
I am certain you will find a good teacher in Madison and wish you all the best as you continue your classical guitar journey.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:11 am

Hi possumtale! Thank you for sharing this nice story.

I spent 3 months 15 years ago in Madison as an exchange student, it was a nice place!

Welcome on the forum, and all the best in you rediscovering of the guitar!

Return to “Introduce yourself”