New from the north

ernandez R

New from the north

Post by ernandez R » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Greetings and salutations from the far north of Alaska USA.

Once apon a time I played classical guitar, then my child, wife and work came along and my other love was locked away in her case and stored in a dark closet. A few times a year when no one was home, I snuck her out, set my metronome ticking, and unwound my world one note at a time. Years later I could no longer site read or even recall the few pieces in the bag, as my old instructor called them.

Then the fire burned up my little Mexican buety. She was cheap in a world of overglossed overpriced deadnoughts: still a solid top, and sounded a dream, she even roared in the key of D. Over the many years I played over a hundred guitars but none had that tone. Was it an allusion? Had my hearing gone south?

I'm not sure when I first had the idea. I had repaired a couple guitars for friends over the years: two necks and a hand full of fret fixes. I've worked wood my whole life but have been an aircraft mechanic, both maintenance and structural repair, for twenty five years. I'm good with my hands but spelling not so much. I started by making a set of hickory tapered tuning pegs. Ya, I know...

Fourteen days and seven guitar books via kindle later, with the neck and bridge still in clamps, I awoke like a child still in awe of Saint Nickolis. The night before a had pre formed a bridge and nut and brought them all into the house with a set of strings into the house. Will she sing? Buzz?

I know my Lady was in bed laughing as I unscrewed the clamps and peeled off the flash tape, again more like a kid at Christmas then a sober man mostly gray. Is she true, each fret flat?

I had never touched friction pegs before one only having an old corroded Staerett SEA taper ream that was the angle I used. It's a lot more then the thirty to one taper luthiers use. I wound her up and the fresh unpolished pins held well enough.

Ok, the nut is about twenty five thou too tall and the bridge about ten too low on the low E side but playable. I'm typing this noting the thin strips of flash tape here and there. The finger board begging for oil but finding her nude nature intriguing. Perhaps I'll leave her so? To be honest I will most likely linseed oil the neck and headstock but I'm afraid to get it any where near the tuning pegs. I read once that luthiers of old used a combination of linseed and olive oil on the tops. I like the organic nature of such a finish. I will most likely use aircraft dope which is a celloiuse nitrate on the body. Hard telling not knowing.

For now I'll let my new girl age a bit as I bang her around and relearn my old favorites: imimimim and imamimami...

My ex wife called me Pulger Man, guess I could have used that as my user name but had decided a nod toward my ethnicity was more apropreat.

ernandez R
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Erik Zurcher

Re: New from the north

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello Ernandez and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:57 am

This is how it starts...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Pulger Man (aka ernandez R)
Great intro.
Enjoy the delcampness.
Steve

Kevin Dunn

Post by Kevin Dunn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 am

A great write-up, Pulger Man.
1996 Claude Guibord, Spruce/BRW; 1982 Ramirez Estudio, Cedar/IRW.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 am

Thank you for the welcolm gentleman.

During the odyssey of build my guitar I would prowl these threads for missing bits of information not found in all the books I had been reading; also found plenty of inspiration if not outright awe.

I'm already gathering wood for my next guitar which I will take much more time construting now that I've figured out the main construction details

HR

ps. The ex also called me metronome man..

Return to “Introduce yourself”