Reintroduction and question about numbness in the hands

acousticart

Reintroduction and question about numbness in the hands

Post by acousticart » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Renewing member from Southern California. I was on the forum several years ago and apparently was not on for more than year because my login didn't work. Oh well, time to renew my membership because I am attempting to get back into playing regularly again. I have not played consistently for a few years because of competing priorities. There have been some sporadic periods of practicing for a week or two to play for some occasion or just to attempt to regain my facility. I have recently realized that if I don't devote some time for regular practice, I may not be able to get it back as age creeps up on me. To that end, I have been playing pretty regularly for maybe a month. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing some issues with my hands. Frequently, my left hand in particular but occasionally the right hand as well will go numb after playing for a few minutes. Even the warming up process will sometimes result in the pins and needles feeling. This will go away if I let my arms hang loose for a minute or two, so it seems as though it may be related to circulation. Sometimes I can go as long as 15 or 20 minutes or even longer without experiencing numbness. It is frustrating to say the least! I have tried various ways of adjusting my approach to holding the guitar, but nothin seems to reliably alleviate the onset of numbness. I am determined and will persist even if playing requires frequent breaks. I would occasionally (but not often) experience a bit of numbness while practicing for my master's recital, but that was more than twenty years ago. I wonder if perhaps some forum member experienced something similar and has found a workable solution.
Don
2005 Spruce & CSA Rosewood by Fritz Ober, Yamaha SG100N with RMC pickups and polyphonic preamp with Roland ready 13 pin output

George Crocket

Re: Reintroduction and question about numbness in the hands

Post by George Crocket » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi Don. Welcome back. I guess we all have to have a regular practice routine to maintain our skills. Sorry you are experiencing difficulties with numbness. Perhaps a post on the Ergonomics subforum would get some more responses?

Please have another look at our welcome page for information about possible changes to the forum and its rules.

You have to post a second message for basic functionality, and after 20 posts additional privileges come with membership of the 020 usergroup (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

louise_steele

Post by louise_steele » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Hello. With regard to your hand numbness, this could be carpel tunnel syndrome. A physiotherapist or doctor will be able to diagnose this. I have found that wrist strengthening with elastic bands or light weights helped me quite a bit with a mild case. Again, your physiotherapist will be able to help with strengthening exercises.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:40 am

Do you have issue only when playing the guitar? Do you type a lot at work?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:55 am

These are similar to symptoms I get with carpal tunnel syndrome. It gets worse if I am playing a lot. I sleep with a brace on my left wrist to keep the wrist straight and this helps. The pins and needles typically return only after I have been lazy and not used the brace for a while because I wasn’t experiencing the symptoms.

As mentioned above, suggest getting a diagnosis. There are some nerve tests that will indicate pretty clearly whether or not it might be carpal tunnel syndrome.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:23 am

Another vote for carpal tunnel.

I used to be an avid pc gamer and had similar issues.

Switched from games to guitar. Issues persisted.

Tried everything.

What worked for me was.. Wait for it... Massage! And active stretching and exercise. Being more aware of my body.

The fact that you are aware of the numbness is a good step.. Now it's just up to you how to address it.

I didn't have luck with Dr's, pills, braces etc etc.

Since I've started studying and applying the principals of massage I've fixed all of my chronic pain issues.. Neck back.. Hips shoulders wrists. All self-rehabilitated.

I guess I became my own physiotherapist, based on the description (it's amazing what you can figure out on your own when you are poor and motivated. Lol)

Your body is talking. Keep listening. Make it happy. Every aspect of your life will be better.

Best of luck.

If anyone ever wants help.. I'm always willing to try to share my methods. No one should deal with chronic pain and or numbness. Wrist and hand pain is no joke at all.
Why is the bed never made?

Return to “Introduce yourself”