Gunar Jakobson Guitar

jackoski

Gunar Jakobson Guitar

Post by jackoski » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Hello everyone. I got to this page from watching Ernest Kwok playing a Gunar Jakobson classical guitar. I lived in Adelaide 1970 and 1971 where I met and become friends with Gunar Jakobson and a number of guitar enthusiasts including Jason Waldron who is now a top player in Australia. I later found a source of guitar top material for Gunar which happened to be a huge top factory in my home town of Ridgefield Washington. Gunar built me guitar 18 from Sitar Spruce top, Brazilian rosewood for back and sides. I studied and played for years but had to give it up because I developed focal dystonia in right hand fingers. If you don't know about this neurological disease I suggest you google and read about it. In the early days it was called writers cramp but later when various musicians developed the problem it got its own name musicians cramp. The disease essentially wipes out any fine muscle dexterity and there is no known cure. I was devastated by this and all attempts to cure the problem only made it worse. I was accepted at the national Institute of health NIH in Bethesda Maryland for studies and treatment. probably been there 20 times over the years. This is a great place of real scientific medical research of dedicated doctors from all over the world. Botox injections was one of the treatment but that or any other did nothing for me. for more information google on musicians dystonia and other variations. The disease affects not only guitarists but pianists, violinists, or any instrument where delicate dexterity is required. After giving up the guitar my good typing skills began to suffer with the right hand then writing itself became difficult. My advise to budding guitar players is get proper training, never force a technique, and don't over practice. I believe I developed this problem from bad advice from a guitar instructor and hours of practicing the wrong way until my right hand fingers turned to spaghetti. Best wishes to all.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Gunar Jakobson Guitar

Post by GeoffB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Hello jackoski,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your focal dystonia. Sadly it's a condition that quite a few forum members are all too familiar with. You can find a number of discussions about it in these topics.

Please also have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

By the way, I needed to make a small edit to your post. Please see my private message for more details.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Introduce yourself”