Hello from Kentucky

Japple

Hello from Kentucky

Post by Japple » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 pm

I’ve been trying to learn guitar for about 15 years but have been plagued with left arm issues. I have worked with several teachers, but mostly was just encouraged to work through the pain. 15-20 minutes a day is enough to lead to serious pain in a week or two. One time I ended up with tennis elbow and lost use of the arm all together for about six months.

I found classical guitar by looking guitars with less string tension. But I was soon encouraged by the concern for technique and posture. I have read Lee Ryan’s book and just started David Leisners. I also learn best with structure. So it seems a great fit.

I’m looking for a guitar and instructor in the Louisville Area. I might need to take online lessons, but would prefer 1:1. I have about 750 to spend on the guitar and playability is my number 1 concern, due to my arm issues.

I see this as my last shot at really becoming a guitar player and making music.

Thanks

Jim Apple
Last edited by Japple on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Kentucky

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello Jim and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am

Japple wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 pm
I’ve been trying to learn guitar for about 15 years but have been plagued with left arm issues. I have worked with several teachers, but mostly was just encouraged to work through the pain. 15-20 minutes a day is enough to lead to serious pain in a week or two. One time I ended up with tennis elbow and lost use of the arm all together for about six months.

I found classical guitar by looking guitars with less string tension. But I was soon encouraged by the concern for technique and posture. I have read Lee Ryan’s book and just started David Leisners. I also learn best with structure. So it seems a great fit.

I’m looking for a guitar and instructor in the Louisville Area. I might need to take online lessons, but would prefer 1:1. I have about 750 to spend on the guitar and playability is my number 1 concern, due to my arm issues.

I see this as my last shot at really becoming Aguilar player and making music.

Thanks

Jim Apple
Hi Jim,
I live in Virginia, but have a Classical Guitar friend that lives in Lexington. I know that he has guitar contacts in Louisville. Send me a PM (Private Message) and I’ll send you his contact information.
$750 won’t get you much of a Classical Guitar.
Have you consulted an orthopedic surgeon for your left arm issues. It may be something as simple as bursitis and a shot of cortisone will do the trick. Working through the pain is not a solution! Don’t!!
Best regards!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:44 am

Hey Jim, Welcome to the forum. Good luck on finding a teacher. As for classical guitars in that price range, you can't beat Cordoba when it comes to "bang for the buck".
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Japple

Post by Japple » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:25 pm

I don’t seem to be able to PM yet(error message about privileges), but thanks for the offer Jack.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Japple wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 pm
... I have worked with several teachers, but mostly was just encouraged to work through the pain ...
With that kind of advice, I am not sure i would call those folk "teachers". Are you sure they all had proper teaching qualifications/experience and were not just three-chord trick merchants who hung out a sign? My teacher's advice was "if it hurts, stop immediately" as otherwise you could do irreparable damage.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Japple wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:25 pm
I don’t seem to be able to PM yet(error message about privileges), but thanks for the offer Jack.
You should see a message from me. Look up at the top and a red highlight ought to be there just to the left of your name...click on that to get to your messages..
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Introduce yourself”