Hi from Finland!

Niklas Fred
Student of the online lessons

Hi from Finland!

Post by Niklas Fred » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 am

..so hi!

I'm a 42-years old guy from Helsinki. I have a long-ish history with electric and steel-strung acoustic guitar (and bass guitar): I first played in my teens for maybe 10 years, and now I got back to playing maybe three years ago. I know some limited theory and can read music a little bit, but mostly my playing has been ranging from blues to rock.

I've noticed that bands are hard to find at this older age, and playing electric guitar is something I don't really enjoy so much doing just in my bedroom by myself. So I've got the idea to start opening up my horizons and stumbled across classical guitar. A huge world of uncharted (for me) territory! :o So now I'm thinking that maybe this would be more up my alley these days, it's more of a solo instrument and the music is beautiful, plus I like a challenge and learning new stuff.

I don't have an instrument yet, and one of my first questions is off course recommendations for affordable instruments. Although I know that the "beginner" instruments are usually not what you want for your first instrument, I still can't blow a huge amount of money into one, maybe 500€?

I've also understood that it would be better to take at least some live lessons initially? I have been sending a few e-mails out to prospective players that I've found on Google, but have yet to heard back from any of them.

All the best to everyone, and I expect to be seeing all of you around here :)

George Crocket

Re: Hi from Finland!

Post by George Crocket » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi Niklas. Welcome to the forum. You seem to have the right approach. I am sure you can get a serviceable instrument for €500 - have a look at our Buying Advice Subforum - viewforum.php?f=107.

Please also have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks!

Looking through my guitar options the Cordoba C5 seems pretty decent, but I would have to order it online without playing... then there are Yamaha's available locally, maybe a CG122 or CG142.

Don W

Post by Don W » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:26 am

I ordered the CG142 from Sweetwater (reccomended by my classically trained instructor who also plays one of these)...couldn't be more pleased with the instrument and the customer service. This guitar has the tone and playability of a thousand dollar guitar. It arrived in perfect shape. I changed the strings to normal tension DAdarrios. It is full size which is important for me as I am new to Classical guitar.

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Nice to hear, I think I'm gonna head down to the local music store next week to test some Yamahas out.

Don W

Post by Don W » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 pm

My CG142 was $275 dollars and was astonished at the quality and workmanship for that price. I too have played acoustic and electric for many years and am diving into the world of classical. I kind of enjoy being a beginner again. I was never able to make the commitment when I was younger. I played by ear and tab for 50 years. I got an instuctor about 5 years ago to learn finger style on a steel string acoustic. When I told him I wanted to learn some of those beautiful "spanish sounding" classical pieces he said "you will need to read standard notation"..."want to dive into the deep end?" I took the dive and have really found it a great compliment to my other playing. Also, I don't know how old you are...I am 66...my instructor said..."awesome brain exercise too"!!!! Good luck Niklas!!!

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks Don! Im 42, so yes, any brain stimulation is a plus :)

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 am

Hmm, after having asked a couple of teachers for their rates, I must say I can't afford private tuition :( I understand that everybody must make a living,but comparing the prices to almost any other hobby this seems to rank to the very top. Well, onwards, nonetheless!

Don W

Post by Don W » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Niklas, I pay $40 for 1/2 hour private instruction with a conservatory trained guitarist once every 2 weeks. That works well and I make sure I am well practiced and tuned for my lessons with a list of questions so I don't waste any valuable time.

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 pm

That is a bit too much for me unfortunately. Two teenagers seem to drain all my money!

Samuel Hines

Post by Samuel Hines » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Welcome Niklas! Delcamp is a fun place, enjoy!

vesa

Post by vesa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Hei Niklas ja tervetuloa mukaan. (Hi Niklas and wellcome along)
I can recommend Kantare: price/quality is very good in Finland (thats what most of my students buy), and furthermore I prefer clear laquer as finish instead of matt - better sound.

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

oaks

Post by oaks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have a Kantare I 500 C from the Finnish Liikanen workshop. I bought it used for 600 e. If I recall correctly, a new one is bit under 1000 e.

Liikanen makes very good guitars. You can go and check them out if you are in Helsinki. The workshop is somewhere there.

Return to “Introduce yourself”