Hello from York, UK

Bemus07

Hello from York, UK

Post by Bemus07 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Hello everyone,

So a little bit about me.

I'm a rocker at heart and started to learn electric guitar when I was 16. However, not being in a band and feeling somewhat unfulfilled musically, I decided to take up classical guitar at 29. I'd often toyed with the idea and discussed doing so with my tutor, as he was classically trained; but I didn't think I had the ability to do it – watching concert players make it look so easy gave me the feeling it was an impossible task.

But then I saw an interview with Milös on BBC News. He played Girl From Ipanena and a video of Libertango was also aired. That was a defining moment for me. I had to play classical guitar and I had to learn that piece.

Five years on and I can proudly say I'm a classical guitarist. It didn't take long for me to get hooked. The whole idea of being able to play bass line, melody, and rhythm without the need for anyone else blew my mind. Learning to read music and enjoying the challenge of learning a new piece was, and still is, incredibly rewarding. Discovering a wealth of classical music was like finding a brand new world.

But that's not all. The classical guitar itself is wondrous instrument and I often admire what I have – the woods, the construction, and the tone - to the point of inspiring me to take woodwork classes and work towards making my own one day. Who would have known that this endeavour would become something much more than was originally set out.

So, here I am. I've currently passed my Grade 6 with merit and have Libertango on order. As I have become more immersed in this classical realm, I thought this would be the perfect place to be. I really do look forward to the journey with Delcamp and its members ahead :)

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from York, UK

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Hello Bemus07 and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

alexgmcm

Post by alexgmcm » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm

Welcome, I'm also from the UK and started learning the classical guitar a year ago (at 26 years old).

I have classes but I'm not studying for the grades - as someone who has studied them would you say it is worthwhile to do the formal exams etc.?

Bemus07

Post by Bemus07 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 pm

alexgmcm wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm
Welcome, I'm also from the UK and started learning the classical guitar a year ago (at 26 years old).

I have classes but I'm not studying for the grades - as someone who has studied them would you say it is worthwhile to do the formal exams etc.?
Absolutely. Even if you don't actually take the exams, doing the grades give you something to work towards in manageable and appropriate steps. But I'd encourage you to take the exams if you can as it gives you a sense of achievement and motivation to carry on. Good luck :)

Return to “Introduce yourself”