Hello from Fr-r-rosty Alberta, Canada

Cynthia

Hello from Fr-r-rosty Alberta, Canada

Post by Cynthia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:28 am

Well hello - I would like to introduce myself. :bye:

My name is Cynthia and I live in Alberta Canada. It's pretty cold here right now and I am looking forward to resuming a passion I had set aside to focus on my special needs daughter. I have hung onto my guitar and all of it accoutrements for a very long time and through a lot of moves. I have never lost my love of the classical guitar even if I no longer have any skills. I have a vintage 1979 Takamine C136S which I am considering reviving and my questions have led me to this group.

I played a LOT through my teens and twenties. First steel string acoustic, self taught with a bad mutant-finger picking style. It was exciting to play with friends who were much more gifted than I. I came to discover that even though I wasn't gifted like they were, with dogged determination and many hours of practice, I could coax wonderful sounds out of my little beast. It gave me peace and joy to make that music. I have a good ear but mediocre coordination which I force to work for me by endless practice. :chitarrista:

As I became busy at College and moved away, I lost that connection and quickly found my playing stagnant. My brother had given me his classical guitar and I decided to take lessons so that I would not have to depend on friends in order to learn new things. I wanted the challenge of learning to read music. Frankly the terror of embarrassing myself before my teacher each week kept me striving to practice hard to learn (for me) progressively difficult pieces.

Ah, then life gets in the way of simple pleasures and I set this love aside to care for my daughter. Sadly she passed away in May of 2017 and after a loooonng hiatus think it's some to force peaceful music out of that old guitar again.

I first have to decide if my old Takamine is worth reviving, practice enough to get my left hand calluses back (enough to survive lessons anyway) and locate a (hopefully not too scary) teacher.

Now I go back to lurking and reading all these interesting things posted by people who know far more than I do. :D

:merci:
Cynthia

Rabindranath Tagore: "You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water."

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Fr-r-rosty Alberta, Canada

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:36 am

Hello Cynthia and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

jgiddings

Post by jgiddings » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Cynthia, and thanks for sharing your story. You will find lots of interesting and useful information on this forum. It's wonderful that you're returning to your guitar studies. I know that your love of music and the guitar will bring you great joy.
Wishing you peace.

Best,
-JG

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Welcome, Cynthia

KP in Winnipeg

Cynthia

Post by Cynthia » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 am

Thank you! I am happy lurking and reading. Much is new and much is enticingly familiar.

If I understand what I have read so far my old Takamine may be worth reviving so it had a little cleaning and some leisure time in a steamy bathroom. Given how dry it is here it seems remarkably unscathed. It's resting back in the case for a few days with my homemade humidifiers working on its wood.

I also enjoyed reading up on strings for this guitar and have decided to pick up a set of D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45 normal tension. From the reviews on Japanese guitars, they seem like a safe bet. They are inexpensive so I can satisfy my urge to change frequently. And then I recall the gruesome task of stretching and tuning. But time has been kind and I can invest in a digital turner and ditch the ancient tuning fork and pitch pipes (YAY, thank the lord for that mercy). If anyone has a recommendation, I would be pleased to hear about it.

:bye:
Cynthia

Rabindranath Tagore: "You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water."

Cynthia

Post by Cynthia » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:45 am

Hello, KP in Winnipeg! I hope your winter is kinder that the one I spent there after college... It was pretty brutal that year and ended in a burst of tent caterpillars. But still I loved it there and have fond memories of hanging on to lampposts so as not to blow across Portage & Main. :D
Cynthia

jgiddings

Post by jgiddings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I played a Takamine for many years. I'm guessing yours will go a few more miles with proper care. Regarding digital tuners, I've had good luck with the basic clip-on model by SNARK. It's inexpensive and easy to use. The battery lasts a long time, and is easy to replace. You can tune your guitar 'visually,' which is great when you're playing in a noisy environment. Good luck!

Best,
-JG

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Don't forget to visit the Edmonton Classical Guitar society to see what concerts are coming up in your area :-)

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Welcome Cynthia,
I spent a few winters in Edmonton. I seem to remember that when it's 30 below, the sensation in my nose was like cold wasabi....
Guitar can be a beautiful companion when it's so cold. Keep the guitar humidified and in the case.
The J45s are a good choice until you find yourself wanting something else.
Steve

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Welcome Cynthia - there's much available to you here. So very sorry to hear about your daughter's passing. I've lost a son and after 12 years still miss him every day. Best wishes to you.
Ken

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 am

Welcome to the forum Cynthia! Nice that you are re-learning the classical guitar once again! You will love it here as there's so much information available about the instrument we all love.

Your fellow Delcamper from northern Ontario. P.S. It's cold and very snowy here also.

Samuel Hines

Post by Samuel Hines » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 am

Welcome, Cynthia. Guitar is a great reprieve for nearly any reason. I'd recommend working through a guitar method, if you can't find a teacher, as self-instruction only goes so far. I did 3+ years of solo study before taking lessons, but it would have been helpful to start earlier for me. :)
Snark tuners are good, D'addario are a solid choice. :guitare:

Return to “Introduce yourself”