GMK Introduction

GMK

GMK Introduction

Post by GMK » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 am

Hello,
My name is Kevin.
I am a beginning guitar student at Berklee School of music.
I've owned guitars for a while now but they just sat in their cases.
Now that I am in school they get a chance to come out and play :)
My first year of studying guitar I was all into electric guitars and small watt tube amps.
Recently I am very interested in acoustic guitars. I love the simplicity of acoustic guitars.
As far as my acoustic nylon string guitars I own a Alvarez classical PC50C with a cutaway and pickup. I also own a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CD/IN.
The Cordoba trumps the Alvarez and I plan to sell my Alvarez to my coworker for $200 this week.
This last month I was on a mission to buy a Concert level classical guitar. Something that would be an upgrade to my Cordoba.
I started to look at the Yairi line and bought myself a 2006 CYM95 Yairi for $900. I bought it online without playing it. After getting it I have been very disappointed. This guitar is supposed to be a $3500 retail guitar but my $800 Cordoba runs circles around it. Both the Yairi and my Cordoba are easy to play, have nice well defined tone, and have sustain for days. The Yairi had zero bass and it was all mid range.. My Cordoba has deeper bass and better highs. So the Yairi got returned for a refund.
Then I spoke to some Classical guitar gurus online that were into Japanese built classical guitars and they advised me to buy something made in the 60's or 70's if I want a quality instrument. They were familiar with the newer Masterbuilt Yairis and they too were not very impressed by them.
So now I am trying to learn about Masaru Matano guitars built in the 60's and 70's. This is the why I am here.
Also looking forward to making some new friends.

simonm

Re: GMK Introduction

Post by simonm » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3653

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".

- I suggest you look at his thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111723 You can do a search within the thread to find references to the Matano. Or just search the complete forum for the name. There is a lot about Japanese guitars here.

Regards,

Simon

Return to “Introduce yourself”