Hello from Gütersloh, Germany

Ben

Hello from Gütersloh, Germany

Post by Ben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi, my name is Benjamin. I was born around the beginning of the 80s. I could strum a few chords as a teenager, when I organized tent camps for children and played along with the songs we sung around the bonfire. In my twenties I had to deal with a long period of illness, where I didn‘t play anything at all. Now, after a break up, I longed to play guitar again and signed up for lessons at the local public music school, which start in February of this year. Due to my illness I have a hard time finding motivation but I am really looking forward to having my first lesson and practicing.

Currently I am generally interested in jazz and classical music, traditional and modern. Classical and other music was all around me when growing up, because my sister became a music docent at uni and my brother always had gigs as an electric guitar and bass player. I know some classical music „by melody“ but I always have a hard time remembering the titles of the pieces I enjoyed. I am not so versed in classical guitar music, but I hope that that will change the longer I play.

I am currently looking for a book for learning classical guitar as a beginner, which I can use together with my teacher. I am open for suggestions both in german and english language.

:merci: :bye:

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Gütersloh, Germany

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Hello Benjamin and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Benjamin,

normally a teacher will use or at least recommend one or more guitar methods or use his own material,
maybe book excerpts and own study material combined. So this is one of the first questions for your teacher.
If you are too impatient, you can either buy a book like Frederick M. Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing" or have a look around
in the study material offered here:
https://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com ... itare.html
Pascual Roch's method is very thorough and comes in three languages (Spanish / English / French), but is is about one hundred years old.
For a start, you might also look at the Sagreras Lecciones published here
https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... reras.html
Sagreras is not a typical method, but offers beautiful musical exercises (at least starting at volume 2, not for absolute beginners). Volume 1 contains mostly basic studies.

Bernhard

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Bernhard and thanks for welcoming me. Thanks for approving my introduction, Erik.

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Hello Ben. I've never been to Gutersloh, but had a lovely visit to nearby Warendorf and occasionally work near Oelde. Lovely area. Good luck with your studies.

My motivation is to find pieces of music I like, then determine if I can find a version which is playable at my skill level, and which still sound good in their simplified form. My guitar teacher then watches my technique and gives suggestions as I go. This approach keeps me interested but has the downside of not being a formal, linear, progressive education - so I end up with holes in me education that have to be filled in later.

Return to “Introduce yourself”