Greetings from north Alabama

metrognome

Greetings from north Alabama

Post by metrognome » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 am

I live in a small town near Huntsville, in north central Alabama about 25 miles south of the Tennessee state line. I'm a retired mechanical engineer by profession. However, I am also a songwriter and multi-instrumentalist (by way of passion.) For the last 12 years or so I've performed 150 - 200 shows per year as a percussionist, however that adventure is slowing down as my generation ages out from the scene. Accordingly, I've become much more focused on song writing and recording. I first started playing guitar in 1964 when I was in Junior High School, after the Beatles magically appeared on the scene. It just looked like too much fun!

I have written songs on guitar, mandolin and Dobro, with most being written on guitar. Last year I borrowed a classical guitar for a few months, and used it to write one of my best songs ever. Based on that success, I have added a classical guitar to my line of instruments and am on a deep dive to learn as much as I can in the shortest possible time. That may sound funny, but at my age that's what it takes; time is no longer on my side.

As for guitar, I am largely self taught. Lately I've been using Truefire courses as a primary source of learning material. In particular, I really get a lot from Brad Carlton's guitar courses. For stringed instruments, I use a Martin DCPA4 steel string acoustic guitar, a Cordoba C5 nylon acoustic, a '52 re-issue Telecaster and an original '68 Gibson ES-355 for electric guitars, an Epiphone Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe square neck resonator guitar, a '66 Fender Precision Bass, and a "The Loar" LM-500-VS mandolin.

As for percussion, I started congas with a mentor/teacher for 25 lessons. By the time that was over, I was playing 4-6 shows a week and never looked back. I have a collection of hand percussion that is too large to list. Much of it only gets used in the studio, most live gigs get only congas, chimes and some hand percussions such as maracas, clave and tamborine.

Although I generally play percussion with rock and blues bands, my songwriting does not reflect that, in fact, no two songs are at all alike. Songs tend to just drop in from time to time.

So anyway, that's a short summary of who I am and why I'm here. I'm looking forward to anything and everything I might learn by participating in this forum. So much to learn, so little time. Especially with music, even little things can mean a lot.

Staying in tune and on time,

Bob
Tune it up!

oski79

Re: Greetings from north Alabama

Post by oski79 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 am

Welcome to Delcamp! What a fascinating introduction about you and your personal musical adventure. I’m glad you took the time to write about it in such a detailed and personal manner.
You mentioned that you are located in a small town near Huntsville, Alabama. My Father lived in Section. I hope I remember correctly that it was on ‘Sand Mountain’. Are you near there?
All the best.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

metrognome

Post by metrognome » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 am

Section is pretty much due east, a more than halfway to the Georgia line from here, about an hour's drive. I was over that way with my wife a couple of weeks ago, we've had a lot of rain and there are some very beautiful waterfalls in that part of the state that are pretty much at full flow right now.
Tune it up!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 pm

metrognome wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 am
Section is pretty much due east, a more than halfway to the Georgia line from here, about an hour's drive. I was over that way with my wife a couple of weeks ago, we've had a lot of rain and there are some very beautiful waterfalls in that part of the state that are pretty much at full flow right now.
Got it. Thank you. I just looked on Google earth for your location and Section and remember many of the towns my Father would take me to when I visited him. It was, from memory, a pretty area. I do remember getting some wonderful cane syrup from a small community near Section. There's no longer any family left there, but I keep thinking I may make a trip down from VA just to see the changes.

Back to music. I hope you'll take the time to chime in every now and then about one of the discussions. And, if you're ever in the mood to post one of your originals it would be enjoyed.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Introduce yourself”