Greetings from Philadelphia

butmin

Greetings from Philadelphia

Post by butmin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 am

Hello everyone :)

I have just started learning guitar this week after impulsively purchasing a Cordoba Dolce guitar. I have no musical background, but a course is being offered at the local community college.
I am 26 years old, but have always been interested in music, but pretty intimidated by reading sheets. However, I have committed to at least 15 weeks of instruction and have found the first exercises in Noad's book to be pretty fun.

Looking forward to learning more about the instrument and open to suggestions on how to progress/what to do.

Cheers,
E

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Philadelphia

Post by George Crocket » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:22 am

Hello E. Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum. I hope your commitment pays off.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:34 am

I second your commitment. It reminds me of when I took a Community College course using a beat up steel string. I got hooked and ultimately switched to nylon string and lessons. You’re in for an adventure and I hope you enjoy the learning. The bonus, I hope, will be your meeting of fellow guitar enthusiasts and those friendships.
All the best.
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:28 pm

If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

I'm with you, I like Noad, he gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all 3 beginner approaches I've tried (well 4, I also have a copy of Yates' intro book), but they all offer something unique and valuable.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

butmin

Post by butmin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Thank you kindly, Jason and Jack. Very much looking forward to the adventure ahead.

In regards to the classes online, are they pretty easy going at the beginning? Reading music has proven to be a pretty difficult exercise so far haha.

Best of luck to you

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 pm

The music for the classes here starts quite simple. However, these classes AFAIK don't teach you how to read music, and don't teach some basics about guitar. I'm getting my music reading from the Noad book, which I like, because the exercises are musically pleasing. The free online https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ does teach you music reading, and guitar basics. I haven't done their exercises. It looks like Noad and thisisclassicalguitar will give you more pieces to practice to gradually build you up to more complex stuff. The classes here give you fewer, harder pieces, that you'll spend longer mastering.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”