Greetings from Baltimore

lev

Greetings from Baltimore

Post by lev » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:43 am

Hello everyone! I started playing the classical guitar about four months ago and I came across this forum when I was searching for answers to various questions about CG technique. In joining, I hope to get advice and feedback regarding my playing and hopefully one day reach a level where I could do the same for others.

In terms of my background, I'm a big fan of classical music and previously played piano (as a child) and cello (as a teenager). Initially I chose the guitar because it seemed very convenient - portable, not too loud, not too expensive - but I am starting to appreciate the instrument and its repertoire for reasons beyond its convenience.

Looking forward to being here.

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Baltimore

Post by George Crocket » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:32 am

Hello lev. Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and inspiration here. Our members try to be helpful.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all the beginner approaches I've looked at, but they all offer something unique and valuable, and all have their fans.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Reza Chitsaz

Post by Reza Chitsaz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Welcome! If you have played cello you will surely have fast success in guitar playing!
Composing for guitar is fun!

Return to “Introduce yourself”