Greetings from Northern California

Aaron Haskett
Student of the online lessons

Greetings from Northern California

Post by Aaron Haskett » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Greetings! I have only just started learning to play the guitar in the past few weeks. I have been interested in learning classical guitar since high school when I first heard a local musician play Usher Waltz (I think his name was Brandon Yip). After about 15 years of saying “one day” I’m finally getting started! I doubt I’ll ever be able to play that particular piece but I really enjoy the little I have been able to learn and the way it feels to play (even poorly) . The piece I started with is Greensleeves, can only play the first half reasonably well. After tons of “googling” ways to improve, practice, exercise etc. this site came up over and over again, I really appreciate the wealth of information.

-Aaron
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from Northern California

Post by GeoffB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Welcome Aaron. We have a connection or two in the guitar universe. Hearing the usher waltz (played by Marc Teischolz about 30 years ago) was important for my perception of what guitar could be.
And, I also met Brandon when he was still in school.
Have fun here. Greensleeves rocks.
Steve

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks Geoff!
Steve, what a small world, thanks for sharing! I've never heard the one played by Teisholz, I'll definitely look it up.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all the beginner approaches I've looked at, but they all offer something unique and valuable, and all have their fans.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 pm

Oh my goodness, I had no idea there was this much here! I have been following along the Method 1 book from thisisclassicalguitar.com but will checkout the Noad book. Thank you for all of the links, super helpful, I think I might try to see if I can join the first year and catch up. I really appreciate the guidance.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 am

I love the videos and articles at thisisclassical. I briefly glanced at his free method book. It's probably fine. I've just already been working with the Noad book, it's super popular/famous, and I love the musicality of the exercises, so I felt no need to to add in his method. I'm currently just using 2 things, Noad, + the lessons here (for the video feedback), and I'm investigating another method book that I may add to my process. It will be the 6th beginner method process I've looked at, 3 free, 3 that are for-pay books. There's lots of useful methods. I'm only adding ones now that I think may give me an important new angle on what I'm getting from Noad.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 am

Welcome. It seems that "The Usher Waltz" has left an impression on many of us...
Steve Ganz wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Welcome Aaron. We have a connection or two in the guitar universe. Hearing the usher waltz (played by Marc Teischolz about 30 years ago) was important for my perception of what guitar could be.
And, I also met Brandon when he was still in school.
Have fun here. Greensleeves rocks.
About eight or so years ago, at the Pacific NW Guitar Festival in Spokane, we were at a bar one night after the days events. There was an open mike set up. Michael Partington went up, borrowed someone's guitar, and played the Usher Waltz. Just knocked it out of the park. This was after at least two pints. I know because I was sitting next to him, and bought him one of them.

The guy sitting on the other side of me said under his breath "I was gonna play something, but no way now..."
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Jason, thanks, I'll order a copy and check it out. My main reason for starting with thisisclassical was because it was free :lol: let me know how you like that other method book you are trying out goes. Thanks again for the advice! How far are you through the lessons here?

oski79, that is awesome, talk about life goals! Thanks for sharing.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Sagreras (https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... reras.html) is free too, but looking at it, it didn't move me to add it to my Noad.

The new book I'm test-driving...it's good, but it teaches in a different order than Noad. I prefer Noad's order. But I may add this book too, for an alternate perspective.

I still haven't posted my first video for the first lesson yet (D01 lesson 01).

Return to “Introduce yourself”