Salutations from upstate New York!

Matt

Salutations from upstate New York!

Post by Matt » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello! My name is Mathhew (you can call me Matt). I'm 21, the fifth of 7 siblings, and I've been playing classical guitar for about 5 to 6 years now.

I started with piano lessons at around 8 years of age. After getting kicked and yelled out of a lesson for sneezing on my teacher's keyboard quite vigorously; my sisters and I quit lessons with her and I decided to try my hand (or mouth I suppose would be more accurate) at brass instruments for a while. My mother was a horn major and my father a tuba major. So I thought it was worth a shot. After practicing cornet for a bit and attending our local community college band in the trumpet section with my mother in the horn section; I decided brass was not for me. So back to piano lessons it was for me and one of the aforementioned 2 sisters.

This time we took lessons with my cousin in law's sister (some of the most fun and enjoyable lessons I've ever taken!). A couple years of the second round of piano lessons passed. But I found I really wasn't enjoying piano that much anymore. I took a break from music all together for a few months to think if it was something that I really enjoyed doing, or, if I was doing it because it was something that my family always did. after thinking for a bit; it felt like something was missing from my life. I took that as a sign that I really did enjoy music. I just needed to find the correct instrument for me.

I joined our local community college band again, in the percussion section this time, and I had an absolute blast! There's nothing like smacking the bass drum and leading the whole band into a new section with a glorious crescendo! This was a super valuable experience that showed me how to play in a bunch of new time signatures and strengthened my sense of rhythm as a whole. I started to miss reading music and playing melody, however. So I took up electric pop/blues guitar lessons with my cousin in law. This was also super fun and an amazing experience that taught me the value of improvisation and soul in my playing.

After about two years of electric pop/blues lessons; I decided I wanted to start taking guitar more seriously. So my parents bought me a Cordoba C7 cedar topped guitar and I started taking private lessons. I really enjoyed the way classical guitar sounded and once my nails came in the feeling of playing was heavenly. For me, it's like piano but more tactile. The melodies are so beautiful I can't get them out of my head once they get stuck in there. Hearing Julian Bream's recording of Scottish Choro by Vliia Lobos was what put the nail in my proverbial classical guitar coffin. I almost haven't skipped a day of playing that piece since I learned it about 4 years ago!

As my technique started to exceed what my Cordoba C7 could offer; I started shopping around for a more serious guitar that I could buy on my own. My teacher introduced me to one of his friends who was trying to sell a Hanika 58 PC concert guitar (the one before the "natural" line). I played it and loved the way it sounded. So, after a bit more shopping, I decided that the Hanika guitar was an amazing price and an amazing guitar. I pretty much had to buy it. After two years of owning and playing it; the Hanika guitar has opened up more beautifully than I every could have imagined!

So here I am! Two years of Hanika ownership and about 6 years of overall classical guitar practicing/playing later. I'm loving every second of playing classical guitar and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon!

I hope that this was an acceptable introduction. I'm excited to finally be joining this forum's community! I can't wait to learn something and help out if I can! :merci: for reading!
Last edited by Matt on Sun May 19, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Salutaions from New York!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Hello Matt and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Matt

Re: Salutaions from New York!

Post by Matt » Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 pm
Hello Matt and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Thank you! These are some great rules. I will for sure add my local and a profile pick! I want to kick my playing up to the next level and I think that this forum seems like a great place to both learn but also learn how to give good advice!

Return to “Introduce yourself”