Strung Greetings from the Midlands (UK)

jm_andrade

Strung Greetings from the Midlands (UK)

Post by jm_andrade » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:56 am

I’m José Manuel ANDRADE a guitar player since my early teens. Besides being a guitar music lover, I’m interested in music in general. After a period of time without playing the guitar, I’ve gotten back into it a few months ago and have been re-studying some of the music that I used to play and music I had not played before. Obviously, I’m still far away from where I was before as far as guitar playing is concerned but I shall keep practising as much as I can.

My initiation into music was through the guitar. I fell in love with music and the instrument after seeing and listening to my grandpa, my dad and one of my uncles playing Portuguese folk music as an ensemble. They were doing some home recording of a relatively large number of Portuguese folk tunes. After that and thanks to my uncle, my dad bought me my first guitar (a folk guitar that I still have in great condition) from my uncle. A few years later and after playing the trombone for three years and the saxophone for two years in the school band, I started studying music formally at the same time I was studying engineering and chose the small orchestra, i.e. the classical guitar, as my instrument. It was my mum who bought me my very first classical guitar that has been with me since then and is also in great condition. These two guitars that I’ve referred to, as you may imagine, have a great significance for me because my parents besides giving me life, also gave me these instruments for my personal and spiritual fulfilment and development.

After a break of a few years, I’ve gotten back into guitar playing since January this year and have tried to immerse myself in guitar music and music in general as much as possible. So, I’m studying material mainly from Sor, Tárrega and Brouwer. At the moment, I’m trying to conciliate my love and interest for the guitar and music with my professional career in engineering.

I look forward to participating in the Classical Guitar Forum and becoming part of their interesting groups. Thank you very much indeed for your time reading my very first post here.

Best regards,
J.M. Andrade

George Crocket

Re: Strung Greetings from the Midlands (UK)

Post by George Crocket » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Greetings, José. Welcome to the forum. That's an interesting background. You will find that many of us had gaps in our guitar lives.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Since you have posted two messages you have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and you can post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

jm_andrade

Re: Strung Greetings from the Midlands (UK)

Post by jm_andrade » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi George,

Many thanks for such a warm welcome message. I'm delighted with the idea of having access to all the resources you have pointed out and having the opportunity to contribute to the forum as well, even if it's with a relatively tiny contribution. Many thanks!

I'll check out the welcome page as soon as possible. Regarding my location on my profile, I already updated that after reading your message. I'm getting acquainted with the Classical Guitar Forum platform and there're a few things that I might be missing at the moment but I'll get there in the end ;-)

Regards,
José Manuel

Return to “Introduce yourself”