Hello from Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Ruth McTighe

Hello from Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Post by Ruth McTighe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 am

Hello, this is my second time of registration. The first was a couple of years ago when I had started having CG lessons, but ended up getting so frustrated with my teacher that I gave up for nearly a year. I've now had an excellent teacher for nearly 3 years, which has confirmed to me I was just unlucky with the previous one.

I started playing the guitar to accompany folk-singing when I was a teenager, and learnt the basics of playing tunes from "A tune a day for guitar book 1". I learnt the piano as a child and got to grade 6 before giving it up to concentrate on school exams. The guitar got put away, and only rediscovered when I moved house shortly before I retired. So nearly 50 years later I've taken up lessons properly and am absolutely loving it. Unlike when I learnt the piano, I actually look forward to my practice sessions. I'm studying pieces at a Grade 4 level, my current favourite being Carcassi study in A minor Op 60 no 7 (very slowly!). I enjoy traditional CG music such as Caracassi, Villa-Lobos, but my teacher is introducing me to more modern and non-European music so I'm learning to enjoy composers like Brouwer and Vincent Lyndsey-Clarke.

I now feel the need to study music theory and analysis. My grade 5 theory was 50 years ago. So I've enrolled in the Open University course A224 Inside Music, and the books will be arriving in the next couple of weeks. When I did something similar with computing, I ended up getting so hooked I completed a BSc in Computing, which I received the week I retired. So you never know, I might end up with a music degree - watch this space!

I'm looking forward to being part of this community

Ruth

CathyCate

Re: Hello from Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Post by CathyCate » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum Ruth!

What a wonderful introduction. :D

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information.

Have fun! and all the best on your newest journey!
CathyCate
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Ruth McTighe

Post by Ruth McTighe » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am

Thank you for the welcome Cathy. My profile is now updated.

Ruth

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Ruth,

Welcome (back) to the forum!

Who's your teacher? I'm sometimes asked for recommendations, and although I usually suggest my own teacher Nick Fletcher, it's good to know who else is out there that is highly rated by their students.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Ruth McTighe

Post by Ruth McTighe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Hi James,
My teacher is David Grainger, based in Horsforth in Leeds. You'll find him easily if you google for him'

Ruth

Return to “Introduce yourself”