Never too late from Co Antrim

robertjc

Never too late from Co Antrim

Post by robertjc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 am

Hello friends. I cant tell you how pleased I am to call myself a guitarist again. Justified or not. I have played since my teens and am approaching my 60th birthday. But for the last 25 years I have hardly touched a guitar mainly because of back and neck problems which made it so uncomfortable.
I have always had at least one guitar in the room to look at - my Les Paul custom from my rocking days.
In fact I turned my talents to piano - classical mostly and this led me to think about classical guitar as a way back. With better anti TNF drugs now available I decided to have a go, first picking up a nice Epiphone Masterbilt second hand but am about to get a classical guitar on the above mentioned birthday. I really like celtic music and found some of the tony mcmanus videos on youtube a bit of an inspiration. I find now I cant stop playing and can hardly find time for the piano.
But it hurts like hell. The softness in my fingertips is now largely overcome but the pain in my fingers especially the left hand index finger. Perhaps I am barring too many chords too soon. But how can i stop now? Any advice would be welcome.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Never too late from Co Antrim

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 am

Hello robertjc and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Welcome aboard! This time you appear to be ready for the long haul. However, if you want to continue the classical guitar journey without getting sidelined, my suggestion is to find a doctor who works with musicians and a classical guitar teacher with credentials. These crucial relationships may not have to be long term. Even initial consultation(s) can go a long way in helping to alleviate the pain and avoiding permanent injury. Your body is an integral part of your "instrument" and will thank you. :wink: All the best!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Go slow, Rob. Don't overdo it. Give yourself time and stay the course. Welcome back to the classical guitar! :)

robertjc

Post by robertjc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess having psoriatic arthritis means some swelling of hands from time to time is expected. But now I have most of the swelling under control I had hoped to fly with this. Not to be it seems. I think perhaps slowing it down is required. I probably went at it too obsessively. That early battle with Cavatina is were the trouble started I think and I have had to park that one until the trouble is resolved.
Yet playing it on piano is a dawdle. But I don't want to play it on piano now. Only the guitar will do. Are we musicians all obsessive or is it just me?

possum

Post by possum » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:42 am

Welcome!

Cancion

Post by Cancion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am

You are not alone!
After I injured myself playing classical guitar, I vowed that I would quit and go back to violin- my childhood instrument, and one that I am proficient at. I told myself, I am never going to risk a prolonged injury again (the tendonitis is fading but it's been over a year now!). Then why do I keep picking up the guitar and playing it? Why can't I stop, argh!

A few lessons I learned from my injured time...
- Physical therapy helps a lot. I went to several sessions with a physical therapist and I still do those PT exercises daily - they improve range of motion, flexibility, strength in wrist and fingers.
- Learn your threshold and play under threshold. You will know/feel when it's "enough" and you need to stop before you trigger inflammation (it will then take 3-5 days for inflammation to subside, which is always frustrating)
- Easy music can be as beautiful as hard music. There are many easy beautiful Celtic arrangements out there.
- I gave up the idea of playing long difficult guitar concertos and becoming a guitar virtuouso...now am focusing on finding out, what is MY personal music? And to evolve in that direction...to find my own path, instead of focusing on always playing harder and harder music
- Check technique on barre chords? Should be using more the weight of your arm, rather than making your index finger press (I'm no teacher, just passing on what my teacher taught me!)

Congratulations on your birthday and upcoming classical guitar!

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Cancion wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am
... why do I keep picking up the guitar and playing it? Why can't I stop, argh!
Well, if Paganini got "lovestruck" pretty good by the guitar, then why not the rest of us mortals, right? lol

Cancion wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am
A few lessons I learned from my injured time...
- Learn your threshold and play under threshold. You will know/feel when it's "enough" and you need to stop before you trigger inflammation
- I gave up the idea of playing long difficult guitar concertos and becoming a guitar virtuouso...now am focusing on finding out, what is MY personal music? And to evolve in that direction...to find my own path, instead of focusing on always playing harder and harder music
- Check technique on barre chords? Should be using more the weight of your arm, rather than making your index finger press (I'm no teacher, just passing on what my teacher taught me!)
Some nice points indeed!

Return to “Introduce yourself”